Hope Hospital & Home Visits

Sarah Balding

Study Abroad in Cambodia
by Sarah Balding, Nursing Student

We started the morning early again, eating breakfast and doing our devotional around 7 am.  After we ate the group split up and got ready to head for the day.  I went with Kate, Jenni, Megan, Tiffany, and Amanda to do 4 more home visits.  The rest of the team headed to HOPE to work in the hospital and the outpatient clinic.  Once we arrived at the home care office we were greeted by the social workers, and got ready to head to the market.  We were able to get the same food and hygiene supplies for each family again.  The bags of rice and the other food items are able to feed the families for anywhere between 2 weeks to 1 month.  This is extremely helpful and will help ease the financial burden on some of these families.  Once we had gathered all of our supplies we loaded everything up on the Tuk-Tuks and headed out towards the first home.

Continue reading

Home Visits, Nursing Check-Offs, & Hope Hospital

Sarah Hintz

Study Abroad in Cambodia
by Sarah Hintz, Nursing Student

Today (Thu 5/21) some of the Community Health clinical groups were able to partner with HOPE organization and participate in HIV home visits.  Even though it was only for half of a day, I feel that it was one of the most impacting parts of our trip.  There were only four of us; Cassie, Dani, Sarah (our wonderful social worker and leader during the visits), and myself, who went on the home visits.  Other groups went to the hospital to help with nursing check-offs, which we eventually also got to be involved in.  It was so exciting to be with these nurses and see them take the knowledge they knew to relate it to real-life situations and understand the concepts of what they were learning. Continue reading

Clinic and Sihanouk Hospital

Jenni Massie

Study Abroad in Cambodia
by Jenni Massie, Nursing Student

Today (Wed 5/20) was a great day.  We (Belmont Nursing) had our first outdoor free clinic under a beautiful tree-covered veranda that provided shade so we could care for the Cambodian people.

JM1

JM2

A room at the guest house adjacent to the veranda was used for breast and pelvic exams.  The organizations Precious Women and the Kone Kaming clinic provided this space.  Our clinic also benefited from having a student of social services (Sarah) and physical therapy (Kate), this has allowed us to expand the care of the clinic beyond nursing.

The Clinic was set up in stations.  Triage is responsible for vital signs, height and weight, getting a short history, and chief complaint.  The assessment station, where I had the opportunity to work, further explored the patient’s history, performed a focused physical assessment, made a diagnosis, and recommended treatment or medication.  Then the patient was directed to the pharmacy and treatment area. Continue reading