Mission to Cambodia: Saturday

LibbyFranckSmallMission to Cambodia 2014
from Libby Franck, Nursing student

Today, we all went as a Group to the Asia School to teach. I had the privilege of watching the other students in our group teach as I took notes along with the Cambodian students. It was a great experience, not only to learn what I have not yet learned in school, but also to see how eager the Cambodians are to learn their practice. Camb2014bThough what we were teaching them were all fairly basic concepts to us (like hand washing and how to assess and report a patients condition) to them these concepts were less understood. The way they were engaged and asked questions was really great to watch because I could see the impact of what we were teaching.

After teaching all morning and having lunch, we had some down time. A group of us decided to go to the Russian Market for a bit (It is not actually Russian) to experience the culture of this beautiful city even more. Camb2014cHere you could buy anything from Nike shoes to North Face backpacks to a Rolex to a silk bag for extremely cheap (meaning $1-$30) though I would not count on the items being authentic. After the market, we then went on to have custom shoes made at Beautiful Shoes (a local shoe maker).

Later that night, we went as a group to The Blue Pumpkin for dinner to celebrate Larry’s birthday. Here, we all had a fantastic meal topped off by some great ice cream (Zane even had a cat nap on the cCamb2014douch). On the tuk tuk ride back to the Golden Gate, we got to see an incredible view of the palace all lit up in lights, giving a great ending to the day. I am excited to see what Cambodia is keeping in store for us next