Mission to Cambodia: Same Same But Different

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Talitha Jones

Along the paths of the chaotic local markets where various bargain matches are heard amongst the fortress of booths filled with colorful scarves, bracelets, and decorative carvings of elephants and Buddha heads you will see long rows separating the venders.  These rows are lined with t-shirts galore, often with funny Cambodian sayings. One of my personal favorites is “same same but different.” In Cambodia same same means different so when English people say “same thing” Cambodians often think they mean different. You see the confusion. But however you say it “same same” or “different”, that pretty much sums up me on this trip. Being the only non-nursing student, I had very different prior medical knowledge, a different major, different expectations and as a result a very different overall experience. My name is Talitha and I am a Pre-med biology major crashing the nursing party and loving every minute!

I remember the first time I heard about the trip and was so excited about a medical mission study abroad trip opportunity at Belmont. I soon found out it was technically a nursing trip. But for anyone who knows me you know that wouldn’t stop me. So I decided to do a little inquiring as to whose arm I had to twist to get in on this trip. I found out it was Mrs. Susan Taplin. Luckily for me it wasn’t much of a struggle. I was welcomed with open arms. Next thing I knew I was headed to Cambodia!

Having several friends in the nursing program I knew I was a little lacking in medical knowledge. The biology program at Belmont is incredible. I have learned so much in the science field but as to be expected of a biology major only in her second year, my abilities in actually physically administering medical care to patients was limited. I hadn’t had clinical exposure beyond shadowing, unlike the nursing students who work in the hospitals serving patients regularly. My goals in coming were to be exposed to a healthcare system in another country. I wanted opportunity to shadow doctors doing things I would never have the chance to see in the states. I wanted to observe physicians dealing with the extremes of a third world country. I was able to do all this and so much more. I have experienced so many blessings on this trip. One of the greatest is working with some of the best representatives of Belmont’s nursing program.

I have been completely blown away by the hearts, ability, talent and knowledge of every single student on this trip. I have learned so much about interacting with patients, proper aseptic technique and overall medical practice by observing them and asking endless questions that they answer with ease. I have learned so much from being in their presence and experiencing Cambodia along side them.

When I came, I never thought about how much my peers in a different major could teach me and how much I would gain from working in tandem with them. I also did not realize what a great experience it is for me to be surrounded by nurses. Like my time spent theses past few weeks, my days as a physician will too involve working as a team with nurses. It has been so beneficial learning how they communicate and how they do their work. Seeing things from their perspective will not only help me to fully appreciate the incredible amount of work and skill it takes to be a nurse but also help me know how to work with them as efficiently as possible. This will aid me when it comes time to develop nurse to doctor relationships in the future.  I remember the words on a wipe-off board in the Honda Emergency Hospital so vividly. It read “Teamwork yeah!” The director of the hospital shared how important teamwork and learning with each other was not only in their hospital specifically but in all hospitals, to provide the best care for patients. Having this opportunity to serve with up and coming nurses has pointed me in the right direction and I am so appreciative of that and all they have taught me!

I have been so humbled and have seen my future in a whole new light. Serving with these students and teachers so willing to pour all they have into the people of Cambodia has reminded me of why I wanted to be in the medical field in the first place. With medical school fast approaching, I have become consumed with building the perfect resume and trying to decide on a specialty and how I can build my career to become a prestigious doctor. A career choice that was once built on my love of serving others had became all about me, me, me without even realizing it. This trip and the incredible servant hearts of all the students and faculty have allowed me to renew my focus. It does not matter whether you are a surgeon, nurse, charge nurse, resident, or on the janitorial staff; medical work is about allowing God to use you as a vehicle of service for his glory.

As this trip comes to a close I am beginning to reflect on all the amazing lessons I have learned medically, spiritually, about Cambodia, and about life in general. It is said that one of the best ways to learn is to take time to see things in a different perspective, by walking in their shoes. I am so thankful for the opportunity to see things from the nursing prospective and all the knowledge that has come from being a little different.