Belmont University

God's Plan

JennyHello there from Cape Town!!!

This trip to Africa has been absolutely amazing. I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to Cape Town last summer as well. I worked in the townships and became familiar with many of the children that were there. Knowing that it was in God’s plan for me to return to the country, I was very excited about what I was going to experience.

Last year I had the privilege of meeting a 14-year old girl, Lucy, in one of the townships. We became very close over time and developed a bond unlike any other. After returning home, we continued to write letters through one of the life skills teachers that worked with her. She has not left my heart since the day that I had to say goodbye. Yesterday was one of the days that I was most looking forward to. As we were playing with children at a school and teaching them volleyball, I saw Lucy standing amongst the crowd. Our eyes held with an immediate connection and a rememberance of the time we shared together. We were able to spend the remainder of the time together and also hang out during the evening session at the youth group. I believe that Lucy was a major part of my calling to return to Cape Town and I pray that our relationship will continue.

jenny and friend.jpg jenny sharing.jpg

We also went to a township called Red Hill. Having gone there last year, I knew what to expect. However, my teammates did not. They quickly realized how the township was different as soon as we arrived. Of all the townships in Cape Town, Red Hill is amongst the poorest. There is no form of flat surface for the children to play on. Although one of the poorest townships, it is also one of the happiest. There is a joy in the people of Red Hill that cannot be found anywhere else. Welcoming us right into their community and inviting us to play net ball with them; we were all changed by the experience. It is absolutely amazing to see such a deep joy on the faces of people living in conditions that most of us have never seen. A joy like that can only come from the love of the Lord.

red hill 1.jpg red hill 2.jpg

Our events today began with going to Ocean View High School. We worked with groups of students, playing basketball relay races and sharing the word with them. Taking a short break to view some baboons, ostriches, and penguins (in different areas of course), we got energy to continue with our mission work. We concluded the day with a basketball game at a township. It is amazing to see the places that the Lord brings us. We are able to witness to anyone in any possible situation. It doesn’t have to be an organized event or a planned program, but we have been able to show the love of Jesus Christ through our actions.

big hand and little hand.jpg sunset.jpg

The trip has been more than expected thus far and I can’t wait to see what the Lord has in store for us. Thank you for your prayers.

I will check in with you later! :-)
-J.Gray

|

Comments

Sounds and looks like you guys are having a blast and leaving your mark on a lot of kids! :-) Praying for all of you guys and I miss and love you JGray and Carly! and HI TON!

Love, Kayla

Scripture tells us to, "be still and know that I am God."
I do believe you're all experience that.
Tony..Thank you so very much for the work you put into this blog. It's wonderful!
Love & Prayers,
Greg & Lorrie

JJ I am so very excited for you and the people whose lives you guys are touching. It brought tears to my eyes to read and see the happiness, love, and hope that those kids are feeling because of you! I love you and am so very proud of you! I'm so proud of all of you!! Stay safe and have fun! XOXO

so glad to hear such great things! you two are amazing.

love you jgray. and car. and tony. :-)

ester

JGray! Reading this blog this morning is starting my day off on the right foot. I'm so glad that you guys are enjoying your time in Cape Town and hearing your story form last year is amazing! I must admit that I'm a bit jealous that you saw baboons...I've always wanted to see one, haha. I continue to pray for each one of you and hope that God reaches many people through you. God Bless you all!

P.S.
You should have T Bone show off some of the dance/fighting skills he learned in Rio! That sure would be a show!

Hi,

It's great to hear that your experience has been amazing so far. Mom and I continue to pray that you'll recognize God's voice as He speaks to you. We think our prayers have been answered.

We love you

Dad

I love the story of re-uniting with Lucy. I'm sure many more friendships will be made and continued throughout the year. I am so thankful that each one of you is so blessed to have this experience to take with you forever. GOD IS GOOD!!

Jen, UB and I are so very proud of you and all of your accomplishments. You and your peers are doing great work in Cape Town and elsewhere. Be safe,
Love,
Auntie and UB

Best Friend...That story is a pretty great one...i love you and miss you...sounds like God is working in incredible ways! can't wait to hear all your other stories!
don't get eaten by a monkey!
i love you and KEEP CHANGIN THE WORLD!
EM

Jgray....I loved your story about Lucy...You are touching so many lives through Christ....Also, Thanks for being such an awesome friend to Carly.....Can't wait for you girls to get to OKlahoma. Love, Holly

My dearest Jenny: When God made you, he gave you beauty, intelligence, integrity and most of all, compassion. You are doing what you are meant to do, help others. I bet Lucy was overwhelmed to see you. I have forwarded the blog to my friends (I have bragging rights) for them to see my sweet Jenny and what she is doing. You are blessed and I am sure you are passing that to others not so fortunate. I love you dearly and am so very proud of you and what you are doing.

With much love and thousands of kisses and hugs (Give Lucy a couple for me)

Love g-ma xoxoxoxox

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)