Belmont University

Bahstun: Day 2

JenniAlthough we never officially finished the Freedom trail we set out today to knock another chunk off of a place overflowing with history. Again we saw cemeteries dating back to the 16th and 17th centuries and got to see places that we've been reading about in our history books. We also came across a chilling memorial for Holocaust victims- that consisted of several glass towers with the numbers of people that died written in white on it. There were quotes from several survivors and man holes that kept the place looking constantly eerie with smoke. One of the quotes that will stick with me told this story "Ilse, a childhood friend of mine, once found a raspberry in the camp and carried it in her pocket all day to present to me that night on a leaf. Imagine a world in which your entire possession is one raspberry and you give it to your friend."

Throughout this trip we have talked to so many people about the American identity. All the answers have evoked different emotions within in me--sadness, pride, laughter, discomfort, disagreement, and more. However, we have consistently heard the importance of giving and passing on to those around us. Just today on the train, the guy I stood by who was a second generation immigrant from Cape Verde said "for every step forward one takes they need to reach back and help the people behind them out." When we were in the House of Blues, our cynical sarcastic tour guide said that being an American meant sharing what you have been given whether that be your education, money, time, etc. In Rossford, the mayor talked about paying it forward and how we, as a group, have the responsibility of sharing our experiences on this trip that we have been blessed with. I may not know all the political and sociological answeres for our country but I do know that sharing is something I can do. I am humbled and a little embarassed when I think about the quote from the Holocaust memorial--compared to such a beautiful depiction of humanity in some of the most inhumane circumstances-- I could definitely up my game in giving to those around me.

On a lighter note I got to see Jana, Zach, and Zach's parents Tom and Chris. Tom treated Emily, Pierce, Shirah, and I to lunch which was unneccesary but really nice! It was so great to see cousins especially since all three of us are missing the 4th up North and to get an idea of what Jana and Zach's life is like in Boston.

|