Belmont University

Into the Wild

HeatherWe’ve encountered a lot of “wilderness” so far on this trip. The Southwest desert in Navajoland, the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, the Redwoods….We’ve spent a lot of time in cities along the way, and venturing out into country to see nature has been a soothing balance for our tired, over-stimulated heads.

Two days ago it was time for Glacier National Park. We loaded up on a breakfast of eggs and hot chocolate, bought all of the necessities of a proper cookout and headed into the park. It was cold and rainy, and a few of the other campers weren’t exactly eager to share their site with twelve boisterous people, but the park was beautiful, the water still, and the air refreshing.

I’m a “country girl”, raised in a Midwestern small town, who spent most of her childhood dreaming of cities and urban life. It didn’t really matter where, as long as the movie theatres are open after 9pm and the idea of nightlife was more than just 2am runs to the 24-hour Wal-Mart for taquitos and diet Mountain Dew.

As much time as I’ve spent running from the country, it’s still my home, and this trip has made me appreciate it that much more. I’ve loved almost every city we’ve been through, but the chance to be in nature really makes me wonder if we’re the “wild” ones. The crazed and gritty urban hustle seems like madness compared to the mist that covers a crystal clear lake as rain falls over the mountains.

Our quest for civilization seems so silly when you look at the clear order of things in nature, the peace that comes when every aspect of life is stripped down to its basics. The security that can be found in knowing you are nothing more than a part of the life cycle.

I still love the city, the ability to disappear down busy streets and all the amenities that come with urban wilderness. But I would take the wild stillness of Montana lakes in the rain any day.

|