Notes on Cambodia

SusanWE ARE BACK!!!! And jet-lagged. I write this entry as a BRIEF reflection over the past few weeks comparing it to my experience over the past 6 (somewhat) years. WoW is the biggest thing that comes to mind. WOW!! Every year I am amazed at the experience I am so very blessed to receive. I watch the hearts of people (in both countries) and my own, change. How can I say? How can I do…
So here are some of my notes on Cambodia:
One of the biggest impacts in my own heart is the impact my husband has had in Cambodia. I am always amazed at what people say when I arrive… things like, Oh Suzan…Chas’ wife or You remember Chas’ wife? For those who don’t know, we were both there with our boys for 2 years and I have been back for 4 times with Chas and the boys only once….I am still known by many as Chas’ wife. I love that. It makes me think deeply of my real role in life and my purpose.
The second impact is the hearts of these young women!!! I am always amazed, but today I am soaking in the memories of such great times we have spent this year. So, for those who read the blog year after year, there is no comparison, just some memories of my heart. I am grateful to all of you who have sacrificed time with these women so they could experience something out of the ordinary. I have been forever impacted by their hearts. Chelsea has a smile and presence that can light a room…..I am amazed at her ability to use her gift of beauty to truly affect those around her. There is no sense of pride or righteousness in her, just love….that she has shared so sincerely. And then there is Emily…..who is quiet and reserved, but oh so deep and the way she sees God in all situations is comforting. I love to see her smile and the laugh she has is infectious. Phanie…or Stepahnie brings such a grace and “can do” attitude to the group, able to lead without hesitation and oh so deep. There is Victory (which is truly the way Cambodians will remember her) who has an incredible way of being and taking life in with that smile…and Kim whose smile and infectious laugh at all things lights up a room…her ability to lead is evident and her sense of planning is keen…..I do think she might lead a team to some foreign land if not Cambodia.

Now on Cambodia:
I run every morning and that has always been my time to absorb Cambodia. It is also my time of prayer and reflection. I have often said that I could resolve most of the conflicts in the world…or just my life…through running. I think my journals would have the most depth if dictated on a run. So…on my run in the early morning (it is so very hot even at 5:15 AM) I notice Phnom Penh. I reflect on the years before and I see a lot of change. It is the capitol city after all. I have noticed a reduction of poor along the route. I don’t see nearly as many children sleeping on the street and my mind wanders sadly to Oudong village when we had the rice driive for those who have been moved out of the city. I see a mother with 4 or 5 young children every morning on my run just trying to make a living. They sleep (in their pajamas) on a mat on the sidewalk waking every morning to a place with no roof. They used to be part of many, but as progress has happened, they have been shunned away from the city center to places like Oudong which we visited. I watched one morning as a police officer stopped to (I think) tell them to leave. They were gone for several days, but returned on our last days. Ironic how that made me feel happy. They have a much better chance of survival in the city as compared to a village so far away. I love my runs in Cambodia with the heat and humidity and the poor…I know that sounds funny…but they need the city just as our homeless do. I think it does my heart good to see them and remember them. I am not sure it is okay to sweep the poor under the rug in any country…..maybe if they were always there to see, we would be so much more grateful and giving.
The church in PP is truly amazing!!!!!! Every year I come, I see the growth and heart of the church. I truly cannot describe the love I feel from them to us and us to them. It is (as our Lord) INDESCRIBABLE. I am sure they have no idea the impact they have on us. They are purely and simply following God’s word to serve and love without restriction!
There is so much more to our trip than has been placed on these pages, but these young women have done an excellent job at describing most. Thank you to all who have sacrificed time with them (which I see as the most important), money, prayers and more to all of us for our journey into the culture of Cambodia. I know each of us has learned something new and grown in our service to God because of this trip.
We are home….but forever changed….
Love to you all,
Susan