« Two Weeks and Counting... Beads | Main | Excited, Nervous, & Hungry »

Humbling Oneself...Preparing for Ministry

Betty WisemanAndy Wicke
Packing for VenezuelaMatthew Dotson
Following a long standing tradition, the last sports evangelism team meeting before a mission trip is held at Betty Wiseman's home. Some came early and discovered some pretty fair fishing in the lake. Some arrived a little blurry eyed from a final exam and found a comfortable seat on the patio among friends. Most arrived hungry and found a feast of freshly grilled hamburgers and hotdogs.

Fun, food, and fellowship were followed by a time of focusing on the mission before us and how each of us can be better prepared for ministry. Betty spoke of the acolades that the basketball teams received this year and how that exposure shown a spotlight on each athlete, putting them on a pedestal. Then, she shared several verses from Act 21: "I served the Lord with great humility and with tears...if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." There will certainly be humbling moments on this trip as well as times where tears are a testimony to what is happening. Betty then asked the group to begin a journey of humility now, setting aside those personal acolades and focusing on the ministry opportunity before us, quoting 1 Timothy: "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." Each member found a place in Betty's living room and kneeled as Betty led in prayer.

Before leaving, each team member received an allocation of supplies for the trip...mostly things that will be left behind in Venezuela. After taking care of a few administrative details, the group headed back to campus to finish up the academic portion of the semester.

The next time that Belmont's sports evangelism team meets as a group, it will be at the American Airlines counter at Nashville International Airport. Finals will be over, graduation day will be history, and a 4:00 AM alarm clock will signal the start of this year's travel schedule.

Comments

Praying for you all and for each person you meet that your testimony will reach the depths of each heart. Blessings, Clara Huff

I just discovered this site while searching for information about Belmont. What an amazing opportunity this is.

There is so much information on Belmont's music programs, I wish there was more information on this type of activity...you all will be in my prayers. Have a safe and fruitful trip.

I will be praying for you as you travel and look forward to regularly reading your posts about what the Lord is doing through you.

Wishing you blessings and safety,
Stephen Campbell

I hope that you all have an amazing time. These mission trips that your school does are great, and I admire you all for taking part in this. You will all be in my prayers while you are there.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)