About This Year's Journey...and You
May 15th is our departure date for Maturin, Venezuela where we will be working with career missionaries, Paul and Shelley Scott. This venture into South America began over a year ago with a request from the TBC Partnership Missions Department in celebration of their 25th Anniversary of Partnership Missions. All previous partnerships of the TBC have requested a team from Tennessee to come and minister during this year of celebration. Missionaries in Maturin, Venezuela requested a Belmont Sports Evangelism Team. I met with Paul Scott, this year's missionary host, prior to last year's trip to the Ukraine and agreed to bring a team of Belmont athletes to use basketball as a platform for sharing Christ. This will be a "first" for the Scott's to host a sports evangelism team.
Regular year-long communication with Paul and Shelley by email and phone has generated added excitement and anticipation of what lies ahead. It is obvious that First Baptist Church of Maturin and local lay leaders have been working hard to formulate plans and lay the groundwork for our ministry.
"You will be going into various communities throughout our stay using the uniqueness of your 'platform' to draw on the community's curiosity and provide a willing audience to the Gospel that otherwise would have been a closed door. Your presence is the key to the witness. They will ask 'Why would these gringos spend their time and money to come all the way down here just to tell us about Jesus?"Our team has been meeting periodically since early February to get all paperwork in order, travel documents ready, and passports in hand. Team members are enlisting prayer partners as they prepare themselves spiritually for the "call" to ministry. Prior to exams the team will have a meeting at BW's house for final instructions, encouragement, and challenge. Departure time is 6:58 a.m. on the morning of May 15.
IMB Missionary - Venezuela
PRAY FOR US. HOW???
- Pray for:
- Cultural adjustment, adaptability, and flexibility
- Safety in travel - air and ground transportation
- Safety in ministry - Physical Safety - Injury-free basketball time!
- Spiritual walk - that each member of the team will be totally dependent on God and open to His leadership.
- A positive attitude
- Good Health - a strong stomach as we adapt to change in food and eating habits
- Christlikeness - friendly smile; a gentle, caring and loving spirit; a personal touch
- Witnessing Opportunities - sensitivity to opportunities and BOLDNESS to verbalize the gospel
- Pray for communities in which we will work - where they have little exposure to the Gospel
- Pray for churches and lay leaders where clinics and opportunities for witnessing will take place
- A "life-changing" experience for each team member
On mission with you...