“Nunca choveu que non escampara”

I absolutely love this expression. It is used frequently in Galícia, and when translated from Gallego to Castellano, it means: “Nunca llovió que no escampara.” In English: “Never has it rained without the weather clearing afterward.” Beyond the literal meaning, this adage also has a figurative meaning. While we may face stormy days in our lives, the sun always comes out. I love it! It’s such a hopeful and beautiful sentiment. Although the weather hasn’t completely cleared here in Santiago, it’s definitely getting better. The 7-day forecast on my computer is calling for rain on Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday is supposed to be sunny! YAY!!!!!!! I will definitely be spending as many afternoons as possible outside.
Last night I went to a phenomenal concert. I had the honor of listening to/watching Ryuichi Sakamoto, a famous Japanese pianist. It was a much more tranquil concert than I anticipated. Not that I expected to rock out to Classical music, I just expected a little more loudness. Does that make sense? Anyway, Sakamoto was absolutely incredible – I was completely blown away by his brilliance. All of his songs are, as I said, fairly mellow.RyuichiSakamoto.jpgAt first, I felt a little uncomfortable sitting in almost complete silence while surrounded by 500+ other people, but after allowing myself to relax, I found myself in a tranquil oasis of peace. There really is no other way to describe it. Although Sakamoto never spoke once (I’m thinking he probably doesn’t speak Spanish), he honestly did not need to. The music said it all. One of the biggest things I’ve learned from living in a foreign country is that there are certain universal languages that we can all speak, sometimes without even having to utter a single word.ryuichi-sakamoto.jpg Music is one of those languages; it speaks to the heart, conveying messages that words alone cannot.
Throughout the performance, I found myself taking advantage of the tranquil ambient by praying and spending time reflecting on a few of my favorite memories. The first that came to my mind was, of course, the many years I took piano lessons. I pictured my piano teacher, Mrs. Mahoney, sitting next to me on the piano bench, counting aloud, “One and two and three and four, and one and two and three and four…” I remembered the Halloween recitals she held at her house, which always included brownies and cookies and sprite with marshmellows. I recalled my pre-recital nerves, my pre-competition nausea, and the sheer bliss of performing flawlessly. I couldn’t help but cry at the thought of such sweet memories.
All that to say, I’m treasuring this last month in Spain. I’m trying to not just taste the moments, but to savour them. I’m also counting down and really looking forward to the day I can run through the airport, drop my bags, and throw my arms around the ones I love the most. 36 days as of today. :)