A New Beginning

I cannot believe that a month has gone by already. My freshmen year has been amazing thus far. I have met so many new people this past month alone. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about coming to Belmont. There is always the thought of not having any friends, but I quickly realized that it almost impossible not to have friends because the people here are very friendly and welcoming.

I cannot believe that a month has gone by already. My freshmen year has been amazing thus far. I have met so many new people this past month alone. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about coming to Belmont. There is always the thought of not having any friends, but I quickly realized that it almost impossible not to have friends because the people here are very friendly and welcoming. Many of the activities that we participated in during welcome week such as the Towering Teams or Playfair allowed me to meet so many people, more than I would have on my own. Playfair consisted of several fun, yet insane games in which the object was to meet as many people as possible who have something in common with you. Towering Teams was the group of students from the seminar class that you signed up during registration, and this group does everything together during welcome week. The teams would eat lunch together, participate in activities, and have group meetings about a variety of topics such as surviving Belmont. I must say that most of my current friends now, were in my towering traditions group. Overall, welcome week was definitely worth going to.
The courses that I am taking this semester have been much more enjoyable then what I had expected. The teachers in my classes are truly amazing. You can definitely tell that they love what they are doing. Because of the small class sizes, there is a connection between the students and teachers that takes learning in the classroom to a whole new level. The faculty is available to help you when you need it and they care about your academic performance in the classroom. I am a music education major and I came to realize that there are a lot of music classes that I will have to take before I graduate. One of my classes, Harmony I, is at 8:00 in the morning. Now, when I was scheduling my classes I did everything in my power not to get early classes, but because I went to the last summer orientation, the 8:00 was the only class open. Although the class is early I have found out that it is one of my favorite classes. The teacher in the class is so energetic that it kind of wakes me up in the mornings. I actually look forward to going to her class because I never know what to expect. What I really love about Belmont is that all of my teachers are also amazing musicians. Last night, I actually went to the Camerata Musicale, which is several faculty ensembles that consist of string quartets featuring a wind player, a tenor solo accompanied by violin, and a trio of two violins and a harpsichord. My Harmony I teacher played the English Horn along with a string trio as accompaniment. She played with the same energy and liveliness that she showed in the classroom. She was truly outstanding at her instrument.
I have been missing my family occasionally over the past month. It’s weird because I have been missing stuff that I took for granted while I was at home. I miss the meals from home, the cafeteria food is good, but it is just not as satisfying as a home cooked meal. I have found that I actually enjoy living in a dorm. I live in Hail Hall which, I believe, I one of the best halls to live in as a freshmen. It is conveniently located in the center of campus near all of the music buildings. Hail only has about 77 residents so our community is very tight, somewhat like a family. Everyone in the hall goes down to the lobby to watch late night movies or we may have an ice cream social. Hail Hall is one of the best dorms to live in!
So far, life here at Belmont has been amazing. I have learned so much from my classes and music lessons this past month. I have found that there is always something to do here, whether it is attending an alumni showcase or hanging out with friends at the Curb Café, Belmont is a great place to be.