Counting Down

It’s so hard to believe that this will be my sophomore year of college. Every time I say it out loud it sounds so strange! The past year has truly been all about transition, and I’m so happy that the unfamiliarity of college is no longer a concern or source of anxiety. At the beginning of the summer, I remember feeling like four months at home wouldn’t be enough; I thought that August would come too soon and that I would still long to be with my family…

It’s a strange thing to move back in with your family after living on your own for a year. So many adjustments have to be made—on both sides—and those adjustments take lots of time (not to mention lots of patience, as well). I was blessed with a wonderful family. My dad still considers me his “little princess,” I have more fun with my brother than I do with anyone else, and I can honestly say that my mom is my best friend. The first few weeks of being home were pretty blissful. DSCN2562.JPG Everyone was extremely flexible and forgiving of one another, so no major conflicts arose. As the summer continued, and we began to fall into our daily routines, we realized that my routine was slightly different from theirs. I prefer to eat dinner at six, they prefer to wait until eight (or later…); I don’t particularly enjoy going to sporting events, they absolutely love attending them. It was sometimes difficult to find a fair compromise, but we eventually began to work things out. The biggest lesson that I learned through all of it was the fact that I had become somewhat selfish. I was so used to only thinking about myself—my needs, my plans, my wants—that I had to heighten my sensitivity and remind myself to consider my family’s desires, as well. It took some time to readjust, but we did it. Over the course of the summer, I learned several things about myself. I had to learn some of them the hard way, but, nevertheless, I learned them. My mom reminded me that summer was still part of the college transition. I had never been a college student home for the summer before, so it took some time to figure out exactly what that looks like. Overall, it was a great summer. I think that it will always be sad to leave home, but the joy of returning to Belmont always seems to outweigh that sorrow.
One thing that I didn’t realize about going to an out-of-state college is how much I would miss the friends that I made there (in Nashville). The more I talk to them on the phone, the more I want to just hop in the car and go see them today! On Tuesday of this week, I found out that my roommate would not be returning to Belmont this semester. I was, obviously, very disappointed to hear that news, but knew that everything would (somehow) work out. One of my good friends, Ateia, actually decided to live on-campus at the last minute and was, therefore, placed in a room on the fifth floor of Thrailkill with a potluck roommate. So, after hearing that I was without a roommate, I decided to give her a call to see if she would be interested in moving down to the third floor to room with me. She was thrilled! I called the office of Residence Life on Wednesday morning, explained the situation, and they told me that as long as Ateia and I both sent them an email requesting each other as roommates, it shouldn’t be a problem to put us together. By Thursday afternoon I had a new roommate! Looking back, it’s amazing to see how God brought everything together the way that He did. I’m so glad Ateia chose to stay on-campus and I’m really looking forward to seeing her on move-in day!!!