What a week…

It’s only Thursday but it feels like the weekend should be here already! Yesterday was pretty rough; we were up until 3 AM on Tuesday night because of the tornado warnings, so everyone was exhausted. On top of that, I had to run 3.5 miles for my half-marathon training. It was a beautiful morning though, so I was able to run outside (which I love). I had no trouble falling asleep last night and I think I slept better than I have in a long time.

Tomorrow morning I will have the incredible opportunity to teach first graders at Fall-Hamilton Elementary School! It’s such a great opportunity and I’m really looking forward to it. I must admit, however, that I’m a little bit nervous. Is that weird? I know they’re only first graders (not exactly intimidating, right?), but I just want to do a really good job. I get to teach them about our families and the role that they play in the local economy. One of the activities that I’m looking forward to the most is the “Want/Need” flashcard game. Each student will receive two cards, one that says “Want,” and one that says “Need.” Then, I will hold up various posters with pictures of things like food, shelter, pets, clothing, toys, etc. on it, and each student will have to decide if the picture that I’m holding is a want or a need. I think it sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe I should be a teacher after all…
Speech is going better than I thought. We gave our demonstration speeches last week and my topic was “How to Decorate Sugar Cookies.” They say that if you talk about something that you really love or that you’re really passionate about then it’s easier for you to relax while you deliver the speech–that is so true. I absolutely love cooking and baking, so being up there with frosting, cookies, and sprinkles was completely natural for me. Of course I was a little nervous, but I just pretended like I was hosting a Food Network show and actually had a great time!
Monday night was the Commercial Music Showcase and it was amazing!!! It was also a Convocation credit (which I didn’t know until I got there)…so that was an added bonus! It’s so fun to be at a university that has such talented musicians. som1203ma2001HRO.jpg One of the performers at the showcase was an incredible pianist. Having played the piano for 12 years myself, I know how complicated it can be to master some of the techniques that it takes to play some of the songs he performed. I just sat there in amazement; he was completely comfortable in front of the audience and did such a phenomenal job. I really enjoyed the entire show, but that was a highlight for me.
Things here at Belmont are going really good this semester. I feel much busier than I was last semester, but I’m not really sure why. It’s not that my classes are any harder (if anything, they’re easier). I like staying busy, but it’s always nice to have the weekend to relax. My friend, Laura, is trying to watch every movie that is up for an Oscar this year, so I’ve been watching a few of those with her. She went to see
There Will Be Blood over the weekend and said it was excellent. (I decided to skip that one, but I might have to rent it later since she gave it such a great review.)
Pride and Prejudice opens on Feb. 14th and my roommate is part of the cast! She’s been working really hard and spends most of her evenings at rehearsal, so I can’t wait to see the finished product! My mom is coming to visit me on Feb. 22-24 and I’m getting excited about that. February 24th is my half-birthday so it will be nice to be able to celebrate with her!