Spooky Season

halloween.jpg
Today is Halloween. I cannot believe how quickly time has flown by. This past week has been manic – and at the same time – very exciting! I recently found out that I will be taking on the role as a Resident Assistant in the Bruin Hills apartment complex on campus. To say the least, I cannot wait to begin this new journey that the Lord has set forth for me.

Continue reading

The Folly of Fall

follies.jpg
So Friday and Saturday October 19th and 20th, I got to be a stagehand for Fall Follies. Fall Follies is an annual variety show that parodies life at Belmont, kind of similar to Saturday Night Live, I guess, in style. It’s pretty much amazing and they also have four really cool artists perform during the show along with the houseband that helps to transition everything from skit to skit. It was really interesting being on the behind the scenes side of Follies this year, though every bit as enjoyable as spectating. Last years Follies was simply hilarious and though I wasn’t able to see this year’s Follies, save a rehearsal, the general consensus is that it was really good this year. Lots of students bring their parents or friends who don’t go to Belmont and its really a great way to share the University’s sense of humor with people.

Continue reading

Little Moments. Big Magic.

Last weekend was fall break! It was so wonderful to be able to go back to Franklin and spend time with my family and friends from home. I have to say that fall break did not last nearly long as I would have hoped, but I really enjoyed the memories that were made. The first night back in Franklin, I went to Ellen’s house to watch Pageant Place on MTV. Belmont Alum and Miss USA 2007, Rachel Smith, is one of the main characters. It was a pretty good show. It’s just another reality TV show, but I enjoyed it! The rest of the weekend involved going to events for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee.

Continue reading

There’s No Place Like Home

I did it! I packed my bag, I printed off my Southwest boarding pass exactly 24 hours before the flight (and got an “A”!), I went through security, I found my gate, I boarded the plane and…I made it home! I know this shouldn’t seem like a huge accomplishment for an 18-year-old, but it was for me! First of all, I am terrified of flying. For some reason I always have this completely irrational fear that the plane is going to crash or that there’s going to be more turbulence than I can handle. I had never traveled alone before and I had definitely never flown by myself prior to last weekend. I was confident that I could make it and I was really looking forward to seeing my family so that motivated me!

Continue reading

Fallin’ into Break…

jhb.jpg
Fall Break was a bombastic time. Thursday consisted of spending the afternoon at Centennial Park with a few friends. The cool brisk weather almost immediately places me in a good mood! I’m rarely ever in a bad mood but I most definitely am lovin’ this fall weather. On Friday, I rested most of the afternoon and once evening rolled around, a few buddies and I went to McDougal’s for scrumptious chicken tenders and southern sweet tea. And to cap off the night — we grabbed some ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s and headed back to Belmont for the women’s soccer game. It gets better…

Continue reading

Plannin’ for Fall Break

IMG_3315.jpg
So, Fall Break is next week and I’m still not completely sure what’s going down. Most likely I’ll end up in Chicago with my friend Sarah, yay! Right now I’m trying to stay focused on getting through mid terms and such. Thankfully, I only have one midterm. However, I also have a few short papers to write, but I’ll be fine. Last night they had Roomate Wars in the lobby of ThraillKill (my dorm), and though I didn’t get to stay for the whole thing, it looked like loads of fun.

Continue reading

Homework…Who does that?

It seems like as the semester moves along, there are fewer people going out on the weekends. But now things are starting to make sense. Just like myself, pretty much everyone on campus has a lot of big group projects, research papers, or just a lot of assigned reading to do. My phone calls to my friends are different now than just about a month ago, when classes were just starting. Towards the end of August and the beginning of September, a typical conversation would be like,
Me: “Hey, what’s going on? Do you wanna see what’s going on downtown?”
Friend: “Just hanging out, man. Sure lets go out and find something cool to do”
Me: “Alright man, I’ll be there in a few minutes”.
Now it’s something like,
Me: “Hey, what’s going on man?”
Friend: “Nothing much, man. Just busy with some homework and stuff.”
Me: “Are you serious? Homework…Who does that?”
Friend: “Man, I have a lot of stuff due pretty soon, and plus I just want to catch up some sleep.”

Continue reading

The Wright Fit

What a week! I can’t believe it’s gone by so quickly. Last weekend was a blast. It was so good to finally see my parents and I had fun showing them around Nashville! On Friday afternoon my mom and I walked around Centennial Park and enjoyed the TACA (Tennessee Association of Crafts Artists) Fall Fair. There were hundreds of really talented artists showcasing their handcrafted masterpieces. My mom bought me a really pretty sky-blue topaz ring—I absolutely love it! We also shared a bag of fresh, homemade kettle corn…it was a perfect day!

Continue reading