Loving it here!

Wow. This week has been awesome! I don’t even know where to begin…
One thing I haven’t mentioned yet is that I absolutely love listening to and making music. I have played the piano for 12 years and although I don’t plan on majoring in it, music has always been my favorite form of artistic expression. One of my roommates, Bethany, also plays the piano and her major is Commercial Music (she’s incredibly talented). She actually brought her brand-new keyboard with her and put it under her lofted bed. I love listening to her play and sometimes it makes me think that I might like to continue with my music.

Anyway, Belmont is obviously the perfect place for people who love music and there are tons of opportunities to enjoy this music environment—even for those of us non-Music Business majors! My other roommate, Raychel, has a part-time job working at the Mike Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business (her major is Musical Theatre) and last week she invited me to “Writer’s Night,” an event that she was in charge of organizing. I had no idea what to expect but when she told me that Steven Curtis Chapman would be there, I told her to count me in! The event featured, of course, Christian artist Steven Curtis Chapman in addition to three Belmont student writers (all of them were incredibly talented musicians). Steven played one of the songs from his new CD that is titled “Cinderella.” It was such a beautiful song and it reminded me of my dad because Steven had written the song for his own daughters. I can’t wait to buy that CD when it comes out! The three Belmont students that were featured did an excellent job. It was such a casual, comfortable atmosphere and a great way to relax after a long day. I couldn’t believe that Steven Curtis Chapman was actually here, at Belmont, and that I was getting to listen to such a great mini-concert for free! I had such a great time and I can’t wait for the next Writer’s Night (it’s October 2nd—I’ve had it in my planner since I found out!).
Something else that I’m excited about is the Chick-Fil-A 5K race that will be held at Belmont this Saturday! I have been training for the race in my Jog/Run class and I really hope that all of my hard work will pay off! Prior to coming to Belmont I had never been much of a jogger. I participated in track and field during middle school and high school but I was always a sprinter—long distance running did not interest me in the least! When I was signing up for classes during orientation this summer, I was hoping to enroll in a health class such as yoga or Pilates; something fun that would help me avoid the “freshman fifteen.” As it turned out, however, the only heath activity class that was still open was Jog/Run. I wasn’t sure how difficult the class would be, but I knew that no matter what it would help me get in shape! The first week was, of course, pretty brutal. I dreaded waking up at 8:30 am every Tuesday and Thursday and I definitely didn’t enjoy trying to run 2 miles in 20 minutes! My family and friends encouraged me by saying, “Oh, once you get the hang of it you’ll really enjoy it and you won’t want to go one day without jogging!” Yeah…right. Well, after almost five weeks of jogging, I am shocked (but happy) to say that they were right. I am addicted. Last Saturday morning I did something that really surprised both my roommates and me. I set my alarm for 8:30 am (when I could have slept in as late as I wanted to), laced up my tennis shoes, and took off on a morning jog. Before I left, Raychel (my roommate) saw me dressed in my running clothes (at 8:45 am on a Saturday) and said, “What are you doing?!” and I told her that I had no idea why, but for some reason I just needed to jog. I never thought that I would love a form of exercise…but I do! I can’t wait to get out there on Saturday and just enjoy every step of the 3-mile journey.
Next weekend is Parents’ Weekend! I’m so excited to see my family and I’m even more excited to show them around Nashville!! I’ve already planned our menu for each day…we will definitely be visiting the Pancake Pantry (for some Sugar and Spice pancakes), Mellow Mushroom (for the best pizza EVER), Las Paletas (for yummy authentic Mexican popsicles), Bongo Java (so my mom can get her coffee fix) and many other local favorites that I have already discovered. I can’t wait!
In the meantime, this is my inspiration for running the race…
Run-for-Charitee-COW.jpg