Miss Tennessee Adventures!

This week, I’ve been catching up on some much needed sleep! I went to sleep on Sunday night and didn’t wake up until noon the next day!! Why did I need so much sleep, you ask? Well, the last couple weeks have been very hectic for me. I just got back from my scholarship program that I’ve been talking about. Now that it’s over, I guess I’ll tell you all what it was!

I was in Jackson for a week competing in the Miss Tennessee Scholarship Pageant. I had an absolute blast!! Allison Alderson DeMarcus, a former Miss Tennessee, was the Mistress of Ceremonies throughout the week of competition. Allison’s husband, Jay DeMarcus (of Rascal Flatts), also helped host and sang during the swimsuit competition. So I guess that I can now say that I’ve danced backup for Rascal Flatts! Haha
I ended up doing really well for my first time ever doing it! Wednesday through Friday were the preliminary competitions and at the end of each night, two girls are named preliminary winners. On Thursday night, I won my swimsuit preliminary! I was in a group with two of the swimsuit winners from last year, so that was a tough group to be in, but I won! All the hard work and working out I’d done had paid off! Saturday night came rolling around and it was time for the first elimination…who was going to make the Top 10? Five girls get called and then finally, I hear my name get called! I felt a huge sigh of relief but also a swarm of excitement! Since I made the Top 10, competition started all over again that night. All ten of the girls now competed again in swimsuit, talent, and evening gown. After we all competed again, the Top 10 was going to be cut down again into Top 5. I got called fourth! I was so excited! From here, there was a commercial break before all five of the girls had to answer an onstage question. After that, it was time to announce the new Miss TN! I wasn’t really nervous during the competition until this point! “If I get crowned, I could make history tonight!” I thought to myself. I would be not only the youngest woman ever crowned Miss Tennessee, but I’d also be the first African-American woman to be Miss TN!! Then came the moment of truth. 4th runner up was called…not me. 3rd runner up was called…not me. “I’m in the Top 3…I’m in the Top 3…” I ended up being 2nd runner up! While I would have loved to win and go to Miss America, I still walked away having made great memories and friends. Most importantly, I accumulated quite a bit of scholarship money! I had a great experience! If you want to see any of the coverage from the Miss TN pageant, you can go on the Jackson Sun website!
Here’s a picture of Allison and I during my onstage question!
onstage.JPG
Now, off to play Guitar Hero!