Belmont University Home

April 28, 2008

About this year's mission

sharonjohnathenbetty.jpgRIO JOURNAL 2008
Sports Evangelism Mission Trip

Welcome to the 2008 Rio Journal that will chronicle the May 12-23 Sports Evangelism Mission Trip (basketball players) to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We are going at the request of career missionaries, Sharon and Ray Fairchild, who will be retiring from the International Mission Board after 28 years of service in Rio. I have had the privilege of taking five teams of student-athletes to Rio since l999, working with the Fairchilds and the many translators, pastors, and volunteers in their ministry. They requested that we serve with them one last time before they return to the states for their final furlough in February 2009.

Basketball season is over, passports are in, visas are being processed, dozens of basketballs are ready for transport, prayer partners are committed to each team member, and meetings are now focused on preparation of our hearts. The student-athletes are busy with final exams as they bring closure to this semester and the academic year.

Our last meeting, prior to final exams and our departure on the 12th, will be at my house for dinner and orientation on April 30th. A special treat for the evening will be the presence of Sharon and Ray who are in the states for a brief period.

A heartfelt “thank you” to all who have contributed financially to make this trip happen! Getting the funds for a journey like this is a monumental task, but God is always faithful in seeing that people respond to the call to be a part of this ministry through giving.

Thank you to team member Tony Howell, Assistant Volleyball Coach, who is responsible for this journal and keeping it up-to-date. I hope you enjoy walking the journey with us.

Betty Wiseman, Trip Coordinator