Thursday’s Adventures

PTs Connecting

chair_patient_sm.jpg

Prayer

Thursday, March 12, 2009 – One group went to the school. We talked and played with the children. Then we talked with the 10th graders about making goals (spiritual and educational), PT and OT, Health (how to stay clean and abstinence), and the benefits of exercise. We had them answer questions and tried to get them to practice some of the exercises we taught, but they were shy.

The other group went to work at the hospital with the physical and occupational therapists. We got to see several precious children during occupational therapy treatments. We also had the opportunity to make a splint for one of the kids. The physical therapists and students were able to see great progress with one of the kiddos that is really trying so hard to learn to walk. It is really hard to see so many kids with such severe disabilities. The therapists here really do the best they can with what they have.

Then we went to the hospital with the rest of the group for lunch and informative talks. This time, the Guatemalans taught us about some genetic disorders that they’ve seen (one of these genetic disorder babies came in, having no left pectoral muscles, club left hand and both feet, and no facial expression even when he cries). Our OTs taught about sensory integration and the huge importance of intertwining the multiple fields of therapy (PT with OT with speech therapy).

After that, we went to the soup kitchen for the last time. I think that we all have stories about how the people at the soup kitchen have touched our lives, but last night some people were especially touched by how 4 or 5 of our team members worked together to make a sling for a young lady with a broken arm out of a t-shirt from one of our members because that was all we had with us at the time. We just wanted to stabilize it until she could go to the doctor.

Today was a breakthrough day in connecting with people and seeing God’s hand at work in us and them.
-Nicole Causey, Rachel Enlow, Linnea Jordan, Betsy Codington

Note: Click images to view larger size.

One thought on “Thursday’s Adventures

1. Girls, I just want you to know that I am praying for you. I am so thankful for the hope and love you are sharing.
    God Bless, Beverly Frame (friend of Betsy)

Comments are closed.