Kicking it into overdrive!

chair_sm.jpg

To say the least, today was the busiest day so far. We really got our hands dirty and jumped in helping out treating the kids. We saw a lot of children with many of the common diagnoses we see in the states, but we also saw a significant number of children with rare diagnoses. The PTs and OTs split up and helped out in the two different therapy gyms. The OTs collaborated with the Guatemalan OTs and OT students in treating patients and coming up with solutions for seating.

The Belmont OT students were able to practice their musical talents and Spanish with the Guatemalan children with the donated musical instruments. The children loved the instruments as well as the attempt to communicate using our version of Spanish. In PT we were able to assist in treating many patients. In addition we were asked to evaluate two sets of siblings with rare genetic disorders. It was a great experience for the student to brush up on their manual muscle testing. In addition we had one set of twins teach us all a Guatemalan dance. We used the dance to be able to observe their functional abilities and muscle strength, in addition to testing our own coordination skills and rhythm.

We continue to be humbled by the knowledge, beauty and caring of this culture. We are heading to church tonight to share in worship within a different culture. Thanks so much for your donations. They are all greatly appreciated by the people here. In addition we appreciate your continued prayers.

Click pictures on the left to view larger size.

exam_sm.jpg
exam2_sm.jpg
pose_lg.jpg

5 thoughts on “Kicking it into overdrive!

1. Only at Belmont would PT/OT students find a way to work in music into a medical mission… you must have pictures (or video?). Show and tell, please!

2. Hey guys I am so proud of you…I have been reading and am praying for you as you are in Guatemala…it is hard to believe that I was in your shoes just a year ago. Thanks for all your hard work over there – keep it up! I love my fellow Belmont PT peeps!!!
    ~NATHAN SMITH

3. Looks like you all are having a blast and learning a lot at the same time. We’re thinkin’ about you!!

Comments are closed.