Personal Reflection from Jena Shoemaker

jena.jpgI will be honest and admit that I was a little hesitant to go on this trip because I knew that it would be my only time off from school and I did not know what exactly I would be doing in Guatemala and if I could really make much of an impact in just one week. However, I decided that this would be a good opportunity for me and so I took a leap of faith and commited to going. Now looking back, I cannot think of a better way to have spent my spring break. I learned so much by going down to Guatemala and seeing the daily routines of the Guatemalan people. It gave me such a different kind of joy than I have ever experienced when I saw the most humble and grateful look in the eyes of the children as we just gave them love and attention. Even though I could not take away all of their troubles and take care of all of their needs, I still feel like I made an impact in the short time I was down there because I let a child know that they were loved.
I hope to go on many more mission trips because I now have such a desire to let everyone know that they are loved by God no matter what their circumstances. Jesus showed his love for others by literally placing his hands on and caring for people that otherwise would not have been treated that way. I am excited to be able to use my career choice of physical therapy to show God’s love for everyone through me.
Jena