A Trip to Antigua

anti4.jpganti2.jpganti1.jpganti3.jpganti5.jpg antig6.jpgToday we had the opportunity to visit Antigua, Guatemala. In English, ‘antigua’ translates to ‘ancient’, a perfect name for this city which once served as the capital of Guatemala. From cobblestone streets, ancient ruins, and traditionally dressed indigenos to internet cafes, American fast food and women on mopeds… this city was an interesting mix of old and new.
We arrived around 9:30 am and took advantage of the view of Pacaya Volcano by taking pictures with it looming in the background. We then walked a few blocks to the artisan market and spent a few hours shopping. It was a wonderful opportunity to practice our ‘haggling’ skills, as this is expected at the market. We quickly found that either you love it or hate it- there wasn’t much ‘in between’ as far as haggling was concerned. I must also say that I was very proud to find my companions using their spanish-speaking ability to bargain for the best prices!
We spent lunch at a nice Guatemalan restaraunt courtesy of the Shalom Foundation (muchisimas gracias a Uds.) then spent the remaining 2 hours of our trip picking up last minute items from the market, taking photographs, and getting a taste of authentic Guatemalan coffee. Around 4pm we departed Antigua for the ride back to Guatemala City. Unfortunately we hit Friday evening traffic and the one hour bus ride turned into a diesel exhaust-filled, 2 hour trip back to the city. We finally arrived in time for our last meal at the seminary and then packed our things in preparation for the trip home tomorrow.