Selection Sunday Party Set for March 13
The Belmont men’s basketball team won the 2011 Atlantic Sun Conference Championship Saturday night with a convincing 87-46 win over North Florida and earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Bruins (30-4) are the first team in the nation to 30 victories in NCAA Division-I basketball and will appear in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in six years.
This weekend Belmont University Athletics will host a ‘Selection Sunday’ watch party as the men’s basketball team awaits its opponent and site of play for the 2011 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship. Join the Bruins and the Belmont Community as we celebrate the program’s fourth NCAA Tournament automatic berth and 30-4 campaign.
Belmont head coach Rick Byrd and the entire Bruin team will be on hand. Voice of the Bruins Kevin Ingram will again serve as emcee for the event.
Schedule of Events
Sunday, March 13: Beaman Student Life Center (adjacent to Curb Event Center)
4 p.m. – FREE food & refreshments served
4:30 p.m. – team introduction
5 p.m. – Selection Show airs live on CBS
There is no charge for admission, and parking is available in the Curb Event Center garage.
Belmont Men’s Basketball Highlights
• Four NCAA Tournament Appearances (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011)
• Eight Atlantic Sun Conference Championships (four regular season, four tournament) since 2006
• First NCAA program to reach 30-win plateau this season
• NCAA-leading 18 road/neutral court victories this season
• Undefeated 12-0 record at Curb Event Center this season
• 25 of 30 victories this season by double figures
• No. 1 in the nation in scoring margin this season
• Most productive bench in NCAA Division-I men’s basketball this season
• Six postseason appearances in the last eight years
• Received Associated Press and/or ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ national poll votes eight consecutive weeks
• No. 2 in national Mid-Major Top 25 Poll on CollegeInsider.com
• NCAA-best Nine Academic All-America selections since 2001
• One of only 12 programs in nation with NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) Honor Distinction every year of existence
• Six of last nine Atlantic Sun Conference Male Student-Athletes of the Year recipients from Belmont men’s basketball
Head Coach Rick Byrd Highlights
• 610 career victories – one of only 12 active head coaches with 600+ career victories
• 518 career victories at Belmont – one of only five active head coaches with 500+victories at current school
For more information on Belmont Men’s Basketball, visit www.BelmontBruins.com.
1900 Belmont Boulevard
Nashville, Tennessee 37212
About Belmont UniversityRanked No. 7 in the Regional Universities South category and named for the sixth consecutive year as one of the top “Up-and-Comer” universities by U.S. News & World Report, Belmont University consists of more than 6,900 students who come from every state and more than 25 countries. Committed to being a leader among teaching universities, Belmont brings together the best of liberal arts and professional education in a Christian community of learning and service. The University’s purpose is to help students explore their passions and develop their talents to meet the world’s needs, a fact made evident in the University’s hometown, Nashville, where students, faculty and staff served more than 243,000 hours of community service (valued at more than $5 million) during 2012. With more than 80 areas of undergraduate study, 22 master’s programs and five doctoral degrees, there is no limit to the ways Belmont University can expand an individual's horizon.
For more information visit www.belmont.edu