Belmont University

April 29, 2011

Hectic right now

hd_brandon.jpgIt is Friday the 29th, the last Friday of the semester. We have two more days of class, exams, and then school is out. Normally I would extremely nervous and anxious right now, thinking about the two papers and four exams I have ahead of me, but instead I feel excited. I know that with the end of the school year comes our mission trip to Naples. I have been looking forward to going on a mission trip this year since we left Malta almost a full year ago.

Talking with the rest of the team, I have found that I am not the only one who feels this way. All of the players who went to Malta last year can’t wait to go on another trip, and the rookies are excited to find out what its like. To prepare ourselves for the trip we have been meeting in small groups to have weekly Bible studies. These have been going very well and I get the sense that this group could be very special.

There were many things about the Mission trip last year that made it a life altering experience for me. It was the first time I had left the country, I got a chance to experience a new culture, and I grew closer with everyone involved in the trip. All of those aspects of the trip made it amazing, but it was something else about the trip that caused it to change my life. Until we had left for Malta last year I had never shared my testimony with anyone before, and I had never talked about my relationship with God with anyone that wasn’t in my Sunday School class or in my family. Explaining to the people of Malta, who ranged from grade schoolers to professional basketball players, about all that it means to have a personal relationship with the creator of the universe was something special. I felt closer to God than I have ever before. I had always felt like God had a plan for my life, but until I shared my testimony with the Maltese men’s national basketball team I had never felt God work through my before. It was an amazing feeling to know that my Lord and Savior was using me as a tool in the lives of those men. So even though my life is hectic right now academically, I find myself thinking back to that feeling last year in Malta, and hoping and praying that God will use me in a similar way this year.

- Brandon Baker

April 18, 2011

Reminding myself of the opportunity

hd_adam.jpgAs I prepare for the trip I just keep reminding myself about the opportunity that God has given us. Last year was a tremendous experience. I am really looking forward to this year because of my experiences from last year. Our devotional bible studies have really given me the chance to bond with the new team members. We are less than a month away now and I cannot wait to meet at the airport. God has blessed us with the opportunity to share his word and I am looking forward to doing that with this team.

- Adam

Coming together

hd_cacy.jpgAs this Spring Semester winds down, my excitement grows in anticipation of our upcoming mission trip to Naples, Italy. I was lucky to be a part of the previous two trips to South Africa and Malta with BW. Each trip was a unique experience with life changing impact. Our team is already very close, but our relationships continue to grow as we have group meetings and devotionals in preparation for our trip. My testimony has changed from year to year as God continuously works in my life and I am in the process of refining my testimony that I will share. I, as well as the rest of the team, am very excited to see what God has in store for this journey. One of the most fulfilling aspects about these trips for me is seeing it all come together in the end and realizing the impact that I may have had on an individuals life.

- Cacy

April 14, 2011

Hoping to make a difference

hd_jj.jpgI have never been on a mission trip before, but I could not be anymore excited. Talking about it with the other people going on the trip, and even people who are not going on the trip, gets me even more excited every time. I am just pumped to get over there and to serve God and hopefully make a difference in peoples' lives.

-JJ

Setting the tone

hd_alyssia.jpgI cannot even put into words how excited I am about going to Naples. The preparation time leading up to it has seemed to fly by. I feel like our meetings and Bible study time with one another has really set the tone for heading out. It has given me a way to start seeing my teammates and friends in ways that I have never seen them before. I am sure that will continue when we get to Italy.

Please keep our team and the people we will be with while in Naples in your thoughts and prayers.

- Alyssa

I try to count the days

hd_haley.jpgThe weeks leading up to the departure date for Naples are so exciting. I try to keep count off the days, but they go by so fast. I feel that no matter how much I talk to God, there could always be more said. I try not to focus too much on the trip though because I know that God is leading us and he will allow us to get through to any person and/or all people that we can. He works in mysterious ways!

After going on the trip to Malta a year ago, I know that I will have an amazing time with the people of Naples. Talking to anyone about who Jesus Christ is in my life, is a great opportunity and it is easily done have the support of a team. Its just one day at a time right now praying, talking to teammates, and getting the correct mindset, the rest is prepared by our leaders and God. I cannot wait to be apart of their culture and spread the GREAT NEWS!

- Haley

April 02, 2011

It Won’t Be Long!

Betty WisemanEverything is in order and ready for departure for Naples, Italy on May 16. Preparations have been on-going since January and the team is now focused on final-exams and closing out the semester. Our last meeting prior to departure will be at my house on May 4th for dinner, distribution of uniforms and equipment, and the usual informal commitment time. Career missionaries, Charlie and Shannon Worthy, have organized an itinerary that will keep the team focused and busy in local schools and communities.

You are invited to walk the journey with us through this blog/journal. We understand that internet connections may be a difficult to find at times, but we’ll do our best to keep you informed and updated on our ministry.

A special “thank you” to all who are supporting this endeavor financially and through your prayers and encouragement. The team has bonded beautifully already through team meetings, orientation, and member led small group bible studies and devotionals. We are excited about all that God has in store for us May 16-26 in Naples, Italy.

- BW