Internship rut?…

Dear Tish,

I LOVE where I intern but it seems that I’m stuck in a rut with my tasks and don’t see any advancement. Should I stick with it in hopes of possible advancement,  or look for something else where I can continue to develop my professional skills?  What could I do to address this issue and how do you suggest I stay motivated?

This is a common question, and I completely understand the dilemma.  As the semester is coming to a close, and you are questioning if you should stick with the same company next semester, ask yourself this question:

A) Are you sticking around because you love the people and the work they do…but you have nothing to do?

OR B) Are you sticking around with nothing to do just because you are comfortable and the people are a good hang?

If you chose A)  Here are some things you can do to get out of the rut:

1. Set up a meeting with your supervisors.

2. Explain to them how much you value the experience and their time.  Ask for projects that will bring value to the company and add to your skill set.  Worst case scenario – they say they don’t have any projects at this time, and you are sitting there thinking “well now I am still in a rut.”  No – you aren’t.  See if you can brainstorm with them, or if you can contribute to the company’s strategic planning.  Everyone has strategic planning but not that much time to allocate to it, so see if you can provide data or research the up-and-coming bands/songwriters coming out of Belmont (wink wink).  If you have gone this far and you aren’t seeing any potential projects, you can thank them and ask for their professional advice on additional experience you can gain in the industry.  No one wants you to sit around with nothing to do – that is draining for everyone involved.  If you have excelled in your position and they have grown to love you, they will help you succeed!

If you chose B), you love the people but perhaps not the work…

Working with friends is a blessing – believe me.  I get it.  But you also need to enjoy the work if you are in fact hoping to hone your professional skills and create your professional brand (see last week’s post).  Your skill set is really important, and if you aren’t perfecting your skill set and developing professionally, then maybe it is time to think about moving to a new company to experience a new culture and to make new contacts.  This doesn’t mean that you are going to burn bridges or anyone is going to hate you.  In fact, if you have created wonderful mentors and friendships at your current internship, they are going to support your decision and help you investigate your next move!  They will and should champion you to succeed!

1. Set up the meeting with your supervisor as the semester is coming to a close. Explain how much you have appreciated the experience with the company.  You want to maintain these relationships that you have worked so hard to create.

2. Ask for their professional opinion and how you can best accomplish your career goals.  Like I said before, if you have created a mentorship they will offer you their expertise and advice for your future.

3. Remember to check LinkedIn and ask other interns for their advice on a company that aligns with your goals.

As always – wishing you the best!

Tish