3 Questions Answered Series: Part III

Throughout the month of April, CEMB Internship Coordinator, Jamie Stamey, will respond to three questions submitted by students embarking on their internship journey.  If you have any questions you would like to see answered, feel free to email Jamie at jamie.stamey@belmont.edu.

Q7: How do you convince someone interviewing you that you’d be the best for the job when you have no experience to back it up?

A7: You may not have specific experience in the entertainment industry yet, but I guarantee you 100% that you have transferrable skills that will help you be a successful intern.  And that’s what you need to show your interviewer.  Talk about the things you are good at.  Think of some specific examples that illustrate your abilities (class projects, experiences from part-time jobs, etc.)  The purpose of interning is to get the experience, but don’t forget your involvement in student activities and volunteer work are relevant.  In my opinion, one of the biggest things internship sponsors are looking for in interns is a personality that will mesh with their company and an attitude that shows you’re willing to go the extra mile.  They can teach you some of the specific skills you’ll need to perform.

Q8: Where do we go as students once we lock in an internship?

A8: The first step for Curb College students is to register for the internship course (AET, EIS, MBU or SNG 3000.)  If you have troubles registering or have any questions, you can reach out to the Internship Coordinator, Jamie.Stamey@belmont.edu. The course syllabus and initial information is typically emailed out to students about a week prior to the beginning of the new semester.

Q9: What is the time range/best time to apply for an internship?

A9: Every company creates their own timeline, so do your research on their website or on CareerConnector to see if they have some specific dates posted.  The timing of the Internship Fair is always a good signal that companies are ready to receive apps.  Otherwise, here is what I usually recommend:

• Summer and Fall Internships: start applying around mid-March
  • Spring Internships: start applying around mid-October