Belmont Health Science Students attend Global Missions Conference

Shelby Blalock, a doctoral student in pharmacy, adds a marker for Guatemala on a world map at the conference which represented mission trips of participants. Shelby’s interest in missions was reinforced during a Belmont Health Science mission trip to the country earlier this year.

Students and faculty from Belmont University’s health science programs recently attended the 2015 Global Missions Health Conference in Louisville, Kentucky.  Over 3000 health professionals and health professions students gathered for the world’s largest such gathering for medical missions.

Dr. Ruby Dunlap, Professor of Nursing, and Dr. Tracy Frame, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy, coordinated participation of 16 students from Belmont’s programs in nursing, occupational therapy, pharmacy and physical therapy.  Student involvement was spearheaded by Derek Neice, a senior nursing major, and facilitated by a gift from the Gabhart Fund to help pay registration fees.

“We all have lots to reflect on and think about as we move forward towards a goal of participating in the mission field as nurses someday,” said Kaylee Leddy, a senior nursing student.

Savannah Hari, a doctoral student in occupational therapy, added, “I’ve had an ongoing relationship with an organization in Haiti, and I’ve been praying that the Lord would affirm that I should continue a relationship with them.  This weekend He absolutely did, and I’m excited to finish out the semester knowing that the end goal is to take my knowledge of therapy to the developing countries.”

Courtney Patrick, another student in the occupational therapy program commented, “I am walking away equipped with tools and a better understanding of how I can use my specific skills and education as a platform for God’s global kingdom work.”

“The Global Missions Health Conference provided so much information on how I as a future PT can incorporate a missions oriented mind in my practice domestically as well as how to go out into the world and serve,” said Grace Cronin, a doctoral student in physical therapy.  “It gave me a new perspective and a fire in my heart to continue the work the Lord has placed in me.