Mission to Cambodia: “It take a village to raise a child.”

JessieFleurySmallMission to Cambodia 2014
from Jessica Fleury, Nursing student

Today our group was divided into three groups doing different acts of service in the community. The group I was in went on HIV home visits to a village outside the city where we also climbed over 500 steps to get to a pagoda over looking the city.

Click on photos to enlarge

Click on photos to enlarge

Although most people said it was one of their favorite things we did so far, it was an emotional day for everyone. This was the first time that we saw the conditions that most Cambodians live in and it was truly a harsh reality.

Camb2014iOne thing that struck us was the sense of community. A lot of these people had little to no family and from our short time there it really seemed like the village was it’s own family. There were some little kids probably between the ages of 3-7 who we’re roaming from house to house often following us, climbing in hammocks of neighbors, climbing ladders. Camb2014jWhen talking to the patients we found that neighbors would help those who had little to no support whether it be share some  food or to lend them some money.  They really did whatever they could to help each other.

Camb2014kAs we were leaving someone commented on this sense of community and how great it was that everyone was able to help each other even though every one there was in poverty. Emily replied with the quote, “it takes a village to raise a child” explaining that she thinks this quote came from this kind of environment.

Camb2014lThis really struck with me today because I think some times in America we forget how hard some people really have it. Yes we have homeless people and people living in poverty, but those in poverty in America have better living conditions than those who are considered well off in this country. Camb2014mInstead of placing blame or in addition  donating money, we should all challenge ourselves to lend a hand to those we see in need.  Whether it be as simple as volunteering to babysit the kids next door free of charge, participating in more programs such as habit for humanity, or donating a goat or chicken, something to help them be able to have a sustainable income. Camb2014n“Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.”