Pharmacy students serve in Nashville clinics

Burks&HollowayFourth year pharmacy students, Chenette Burks and Melissa Holloway, have spent the past month at United Neighborhood Health Services (UNHS) Downtown and Mission Clinics completing their Ambulatory Care Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) with faculty member Dr. Ashton Beggs. The population at these two UNHS clinics primarily consists of homeless patients and this has proven to be a positive learning experience for the students.

“My rotation at UNHS has been such a humbling experience and being able to serve the homeless population is very rewarding,” said Holloway.  “These patients are generally so appreciative of the free medical care they receive and there is a great opportunity to educate them on their disease states and medications.”  Burks added, “This month has opened my eyes to the true depths of homelessness in Nashville. Spending time at the UNHS Downtown and Missions Clinics has challenged me to think creatively about how to care for those who cannot care for themselves, and who have unique barriers that hinder their ability to get well.”

The students and Dr. Beggs were afforded the opportunity to tour Room In The Inn, a nearby homeless shelter, to learn more about resources available for homeless patients in Nashville. Holloway commented, “Knowledge of these resources in our own backyard will prove very valuable throughout my journey here in Nashville.” “Touring Room In The Inn was one of the highlights of the rotation for me,” said Burks.  “It gives me joy knowing organizations like this one are actually acting on their vision and making a difference in so many people’s lives. It motivates me to do more; there is so much work to be done. Belmont University prides itself on the service that it gives to the community of Nashville and all over the world. The College of Pharmacy is also part of this mission and this rotation is an excellent example.”

Dr. Beggs’ APPE is available to students in their fourth year of pharmacy school and serves as a valuable experience, especially for students desiring to learn more about medical care for indigent populations.