Mission to Cambodia: A paradigm shift

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Michael James

Some people may be wondering why it took me so long to write my blog for this trip.  I wish I had a deep answer that would suffice, however, the truth is I have been to busy enjoying Cambodia to write it.  This does give me an opportunity to reflect on the trip as a whole and analyze things that have changed within me as a result of nearly three weeks in the Khmer culture.

This trip started out as a nursing trip, but quickly shifted into a mission from God.  We were able to do tremendous things on this trip including building a house for family in need, going into utter poverty to take food and medicine to those who would otherwise be without, and observe some amazing work within the hospitals and churches of Cambodia.  There was a myriad of emotions running through us as each new challenge arose.  A bit of pride in the things we were able to accomplish quickly resolved into humility as we realized that the impact Cambodia would have on us far outweighed the impact we had on it.

This was a paradigm shift for me.  We as Americans think that God sends us places to spread his Word, help the poor and save souls.  Kevin, one of the Americans living in Battambang, shared with us on the last Sunday we were here a difficult and life changing truth.  He said, “you may think you are coming here to change Cambodia or that God is going to use you in some way to save their souls.  But it is your soul and my soul that needs to be saved.”  His expression of how God had used Cambodia to change him rang true for most all of us.  We slowly begin to realize that despite the terror from which this country has grown.  The Spirit of God is alive and well here, and God is calling many of us to partake in the springs of living water flowing from the hearts the Kampuchean people.  Our return to the states is bittersweet.  Though we miss our families and friends, the time we were able to spend here in Cambodia will forever leave its mark.  My prayer is that the Lord will be able to use us to share our stories, and we will be open to his Spirit as it reveals His will for each of our lives.