Haiti Update #12

Jen Watters Haiti Blog
Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 8:48am
Jen Watters.jpg Bonjour!
Excuse Moi! Sorry that I missed sending out the update last week. These last two weeks have been a little crazy as my time in Haiti is wrapping up! And now I have less than two days left!! It’s quite strange. On one hand I’m really sad to leave, but on the other hand I am definitely looking forward to seeing everyone. I’ve missed you guys!!! And, also sleeping in a real bed with my PILLOW!!!!
I’ve spent the last two weeks continuing to work in Diquini hospital in Carrefour, and there have been lots of changes. One of our big projects for the last two weeks was to help discharge about 40 people from the hospital, many of whom had been living there since the earthquake. After the earthquake they set up tons of huge tents in front of the hospital to help house all of the extra patients, anyone without acute medical needs was moved out there. And then they kind of all just stayed. Our group was the only one who had any records on the people out there, so we were asked to help organize the discharges. Just an example of working here – you kind of have to be a jack of all trades: PT, social worker, discharge planner! Anyway, we were able to work with IOM which is a branch of the UN that helps displaced people and they were able to get most of the patients’ tents and help them return either to their property or to a place nearby with family or friends. It was interesting to see the patients’ reactions. One lady was so excited to leave, she was packed up with all of her things, sitting in a chair ready to go the first day, before we had even organized anything. She had just heard that people were leaving and wanted to go home. I think she was a little upset when we told her that she would have to wait a couple of days before it was her turn. The first day they took about 5 people with all their stuff in a mini-bus (a big van) there was one guy who jumped in the van as soon as it pulled up there and just sat in there several hours, happily waiting until everyone else was loaded up! He wanted to make sure he got a spot on the bus!

Then there were other people who we had to do quite a bit of convincing before they would go and even then they weren’t too happy about it. I can’t say that I blame them though – the hospital is safe, they have tents, beds, and get fed daily . . . I can definitely see how it would be scary to leave. But it was also good to see progress and be helping people take a step towards getting back to their lives – even if there were a bit hesitant to do so. It’s hard because many of their lives have completely changed, but they can’t get started to build a new life if they are living at the hospital. So, please keep the Haitian people in your prayers, especially those who are starting to leave the hopsitals as they are discharged or as temporary hospitals are closed and now face the challenge of rebuilding their lives and their homes.
Other exciting news . . . last weekend I got to go on a little mini trip to a smaller town in the south of Haiti on the southern coast called Jacmel. The drive was BEAUTIFUL – a winding road through the mountains! There were lots of little terraced farms along the hills and the mountains were spectacular! There is a nice beach area in Jacmel and some really pretty old colonial buildings. There is one area of town that was really devastated by the earthquake and there were about 300 people who were killed, which is pretty significant for a smaller town. There is one hospital in town called St. Michel where MSF Spain (doctors without borders) is working. There is an American group called CCH which has a rehab tent there. I really enjoyed getting out of the “big city” again and seeing some of the countryside. Haiti really is a beautiful place! One highlight of the weekend is that I got to stay in a great little hotel with an ocean view and even better – HOT water!!! It was so luxurious – it’s totally the little things!
My flight isn’t until Monday, which has ended up being great timing. It’s nice to have the weekend to spend some time with everyone, pack up and take my time, not feeling rushed. There are several other people who are flying out today so we had a big dance party last night – I am definitely going to miss the living room dance parties! Tonight we are going out to a local place and meeting a bunch of the local staff to dance some Kompa (not sure if I spelled that right or not) but it’s Haitian music and dance – pretty fun! Then Sunday will just be a quiet day to hang out, pack and say goodbye!
Thank you so much for all of your prayers, emails and encouragement while I’ve been here. It’s been so important and has really meant a lot to me. I couldn’t have made it through without you! It’s been nice to hear from everyone at home and feel like I’m still connected to you too! Hopefully, I’ll be seeing many of you soon. For those who live far away, I have lots of rollover minutes stocked up after not using my phone at all the last three months – so expect a phone call soon!!
Great big hugs, lots of love!!!!
Jen =)