“You are Amazing, God”

2010 Mission Trip to Cambodia
from Stephanie Brooks
StephanieToday I went to a nearby village with the Center of Hope Mobile Clinic. I was awestruck to find houses made of leaves and mud with a dozen or more people living in them. The ground had turned to mud from yesterday’s rainfall, so the piles of trash that had been pushed aside were now embedded in the floors of people’s homes. It is very similar to the slums in the city, but it’s distant location makes it harder to keep supplies stocked. I was immediately aware of the constant struggle to maintain basic needs.

StephanieWe set up two tables- one for initial screenings and vital signs, where I was, and another for the physician to prescribe and distribute medications. Approximately thirty patients, ranging from ages 6 months to 79 years, were screened and given appropriate medications. I cannot begin to explain their gratitude! Countless hugs and smiles were dispersed 🙂 I was truly humbled that someone who has no money, children to feed, and an illness to bear in those conditions could find the strength to laugh and feel joy. I wanted so bad to do more for them, like bring them food, build them a better home, or simply buy them shoes. I felt so blessed today, though, to have the opportunity to help in the way I feel called and hopefully provide some comfort.

Back at the hospital, the other ladies were busy doing what they do best! We are beginning to build friendships with the staff members and are much more accustomed to the hospital. When the afternoon is over at the hospital, we always meet for a post-conference to share our experiences for the day. It’s a great time for us to hear about each others day, but also to ask questions and work through the thousands of thoughts bouncing around in our heads. At times it is emotional, but even more so strengthening. It is for me at least!
Today’s conference stood out in my mind because we talked about something very close to our hearts. One of the HIV patients that some of us have been closely working with over the past few days went home today because she was barely on her last string of life. The family wanted her to be home. We found out shortly after she arrived home that she went to be with Jesus. We knew that God had kept her alive just long enough to say goodbye to her family and be at home. Needless to say, we were all reminded of the everlasting grace and love God has for us! As we were leaving post-conference, someone (I’m not sure who) began singing “You are Amazing, God” and we all joined in! Singing brightened up the mood a bit and I could feel God’s presence right there with us. We have had a great day! Thank you, Jesus!
We love you all,
Steph

One thought on ““You are Amazing, God”

1. Stephanie – what a wonderful description of your day. I thank God that you and the group are there in Cambodia doing God’s work and showing Christ’s love through your hands!