“No more Chanel bags for Bill or Angelina Jolie”

2010 Mission Trip to Guatemala
So Mom’s not much luck on staying healthy today but all sickly individuals have bounced back and feel much better as of now… We are hoping it stays that way.
Today the groups splint into teams one traveling to the Children’s Hospital and the other going to the Shalom School, the University, and the soup kitchen.

The individuals who went to the Children’s Hospital splint up into their specific disciplines. In the OT clinic students worked hands on with a group of children working on sensory stimulation. They used rice, coffee beans, and different textures of cloth as sensory tools. The students and practitioners observed Guatemalan OTs evaluating a patient with severe CP with multiple serious medical issues. Once the evaluation was complete the Guatemalan OTs asked the students and practitioners for suggestions. The differences in techniques were evident but both were open to communication and excited to learn from one another.

The PT students who came on the trip last year were excited to return and work with the same Guatemalan PTs. The students did not have a supervising clinician but the Guatemalan Therapists were very open to them helping with treatment and suggestions they had for future treatment sessions. All of the students were able to work one on one with a patient during a group therapy session which focused on strengthening, functional activities, and play. They were also able to see several unique diagnoses such as Duchene’s (muscular dystrophy), and Ricketts. Some of the students made progress with a child who has Guillen Barre by having him walk without a walker. Concluding the day at the hospital one of the Guatemalan Therapists presented a diagnosis not commonly seen in the United States.

The nurses collaborated with the respiratory therapist in the treatment of the children in the ICU. They also spent much of the day providing comfort and attention to one of the children whose parents are only able to visit once a month. They also worked on encouraging him to eat.

Our group started the day at the Shalom School. We were able to speak to a group of Seniors about what OTs, PTs, and nurses do back in the United States, as well as how we all work as a team when treating patients. We also stressed the importance of a healthy, active lifestyle, as well as finding a balance between studies and life. We taught them about having good posture (even used a demonstration with a boy holding a full water bottle straight out in front of him and a girl holding a bottle over her shoulder…the girl won!!!!!!!) We also had a “plank off” and a push up contest.

From the Shalom School, we went to the PT University where Ellen Argo delivered a wonderful lecture to the American and Guatemalan students discussing basic information about CP. After lunch, we evaluated a 21 year old young man with CP, assessing his functional abilities, gait analysis, and impairments. OT and PT collaborated to obtain a comprehensive evaluation. One problem recognized is the lack of communication between the disciplines, so interdisciplinary communication/teamwork was a focal point during the evaluation. It was great to interact with and learn from the Guatemalan PT students. Again, translators were KEY in the success of our communication/discussion with the students and practitioners.

To explain the title of the blog….One of our translators is 15 years old and is in Guatemala visiting her mother (she lives with her father in Germany). She fluently speaks German, Spanish, and English and soon plans to learn French. She used to carry her little dog, Bill (she also has a dog named Angelina Jolie), in her white, Channel purse until one day she noticed a smell coming from her bag. She looked down and Bill had left her a surprise in her purse so she declared “NO MORE CHANEL PURSES FOR BILL OR ANGELENIA JOLIE!!!!”

We concluded our “work day” at the Soup Kitchen, serving nearly 600 people today (590 to be exact). Seeing the needs of the people and getting to know their stories were emotional yet inspiring. It was a very humbling experience to serve so many people in such a short time frame. Many were very thankful for the food and our service. After we cleaned the dining area, the director explained to us that most of the people who she serves only have the opportunity to eat one meal a day. She also explained that even though Guatemala doesn’t have the strict health rules, she will not serve anything that she would not eat. Several of us had the opportunity to hold a precious 2 month old baby who lost her father 4 days ago in a shooting. The experience in general was difficult but we all appreciate the opportunity to humble ourselves and serve those less fortunate.

Once our group returned from the soup kitchen we were all treated to some FANTASTIC salsa lessons. It has been a VERY long/emotionally draining day so it’s off to bed for us!!!!

P.S. “If you were wondering bugs can bite eyelids!!!” -Lauren Clark

6 thoughts on ““No more Chanel bags for Bill or Angelina Jolie”

1. Jessica Rutledge–don’t forget to put bugspray on your eyelids!!!!
    You guys are doing an amazing job! I thank God you are all able to serve him by serving those less fortunate! More prayers are being sent up for you all!
    Be safe!

2. We are praying for you — stay safe and know you are making a difference in the people around you in every place you serve. Do all that you do to the glory of God. Julie’s Mom

3. Praying for yall!!! missing my nursing girls! Megan, Beth and Natalie!! Megs hurry back safely I am having to resort to texting myself haha

4. I’m glad you guys are having such an awesome time!! Praying that you learn a lot, and that no one gets sick!!! 🙂

5. Hi Beth, Natalie and Megan! So glad you’re all safe and doing well. We are praying for you and the people you are serving and hope God gives you all the strength and wisdom you need. Miss you!! Beth’s Mom

6. I’m looking forward to the days when I will be able to think back to the moment I cross the stage as I am handed my diploma as a closing of one chapter of life and the beginning of a new one. Here’s to going from here to anywhere!

Comments are closed.