PT Alum shares about her experience in Haiti

From Abby Witcher (DPT ’09)…..in a recent note to classmates and Gail Bursch, Abby wrote:

I have been meaning to share with you about an opportunity that some of you may really enjoy. I went to Haiti to do some relief work and physical therapy with the survivors of the earthquake. I worked in an orphanage with post-op ortho kids as well as worked at a tent hospital that Miami Hospital with adults and children. Anyhow, it was an amazing experience of make-do PT and a mess of surroundings. So many had such incredibly sad stories, especially the children.
All this to say, there are so many countless opportunities for physical therapists, especially now as people are coming out of casts, external fixators and amputees may be getting their prosthesis. I worked with a group called, MercyWorks, but another group is looking for PTs to come help. Please let me know if this sounds interesting to any of you. Email me and I will send you a website for more information.

If interested in this opportunity, let us know and we’ll put you in contact with Abby.