BELMONT NEWS

U.S. Bank Chairman Shares Views on Ethics with Belmont Students
Richard K. Davis, chairman and chief executive officer of U.S. Bank shared his views on the importance of regulating ethical business behavior with Belmont students, faculty and Nashville business leaders on Monday, March 26.

Davis began his campus visit with a convocation lecture titled “Business Ethics & Responsible Banking Today” presented to students in Beaman A&B.

“Ethics can be learned now. What I can’t drill into your head is when a lot of people are doing little things wrong, you will want to draw the line on when it will end. You can draw the line in the sand now that you will adhere to as you begin practicing business,” he said.

Davis emphasized the need to create a business culture with consistent values and regular audits as the cornerstone to long-term success. He encouraged government regulation on ethical business practices, such as shareholder access and whistleblower incentives to promote honesty, integrity and transparency. He also summarized the evolution of corporate responsibility from 1919 to the present. Read more.

Alumnus Brad Paisley Establishes Endowed Scholarship for Curb College Students
Belmont University alumnus and multi Grammy, Country Music Association and Academy of Country Music award-winning artist Brad Paisley recently established an endowed scholarship at his alma mater. The Brad Paisley Endowed Scholarship will provide financial assistance for a deserving student with demonstrated need who is studying in the Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business.Paisley said, “I’ve often said that the best course of education for a young person wanting to pursue country music is to go to college at Belmont. I speak from experience. I wouldn’t be in any position to offer a scholarship if I had not gone to Belmont – this is the least I can do in appreciation.”

Belmont President Dr. Bob Fisher added, “I’ve heard Brad say that he ‘got his big break’ when he set foot on the campus of Belmont University, a place where he met fellow students who became members of what became ‘Team Paisley.’ Well, we’ve come full circle to realize that Belmont University and future students got our big break when Brad arrived on campus. We’re deeply grateful for his continued friendship and his commitment to making Belmont better than it was when he first found us.” Read more.

West Memphis Three Member Visits Belmont
Sentenced in 1994 for the murder of three boys in West Memphis, Arkansas, Baldwin and his two friends served over 18 years in prison. With the discovery of newly processed DNA, the trio was released in August of 2011 when they entered Alford Pleas stating their innocence while also noting that prosecution have enough initial evidence to sentence them as they did.Baldwin’s message to his listeners was clear. While in jail he took the opportunity to work in the law library, learn as much as he could and appreciate all the time he had. He urges students to do the same.

Baldwin has also committed himself to a life working against the death penalty while also opposing forced confessions of individuals on trial and convictions of the innocent. In addition, he hopes to help juveniles facing a life sentence without parole. Read more.

More Cloar : Carroll Cloar Art Exhibit Returns to Belmont University’s Leu Gallery

Curated by David Lusk, the Leu Art Gallery presents paintings, lithographs and drawings by the late Carroll Cloar April 2 – May 24 on the campus of Belmont University. The exhibit offers selections from the David Lusk Gallery in Memphis, Tennessee, and several Nashville area collectors.A nationally recognized American painter, Cloar’s style has been described as simultaneously primitive and progressively modern. Drawing from his childhood memories of the American South, his compositions are grounded in reality but often evoke a dream-like quality making them difficult to categorize, but remarkable to contemplate. Belmont University previously hosted a Carroll Cloar exhibit, “Timeless Tales of the South,” in 2003. Read more.

Former Senator Jim Sasser Headlines International Business Symposium
Belmont’s Center for International Business held its third annual International Business Symposium Thursday morning, featuring a panel discussion and a conversation with former U.S. Senator and U.S. Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China, James Sasser.The event opened with a panel discussion tackling the topic, “What are Nashville organizations doing to promote international trade and investment?” Then Belmont President Dr. Bob Fisher introduced Sasser and his son Gray, an attorney and current adjunct professor at Belmont, for a conversation on the expected impact of China’s leadership succession on Sino-US diplomatic, economic and business relationships. Read more.

Belmont Graduate Program Offers New Social Media Course
The Jack C. Massey Graduate School of Business at Belmont University began offering a new course this semester, “Social Media Marketing Strategies and the Recommendation Age,” which is believed to be the first graduate level course in social media to be developed in the Nashville area. The class is being taught by instructor Bob Hutchins, local author and owner of BuzzPlant, a marketing agency specializing in social media and online marketing.Associate Dean of the Graduate School of Business Dr. Joe Alexander said, “We see Bob as a pioneer in the industry and believe he will greatly impact the learning experience of our MBA students.” Read more.