February 24, 2012

PHOTOS OF THE WEEK

Men of Pembroke Hall show their school spirit at the women's basketball team's last home game of the regular season. The Lady Bruins defeated ETSU, 49-44, on Feb. 25.

The Belmont community gathers around the spirit fire during a pep rally Feb. 17.

Vice President of Spiritual Development Todd Lake marks foreheads of the faithful with black ashes in the sign of the cross during Ash Wednesday Service on Feb. 22.

BELMONT NEWS

Graduate Student Opens ‘Deliciously Happy’ with Art, Performances

Collaboration takes new form as graduate student Lindsey Bailey partners with students from the University School of Nashville, Bordeaux Elementary and Lead Academy to host an art exhibit Feb. 29 through April 6 in Gallery 121 in the Leu Center for the Visual Arts.  The gallery will include projected animations, costumes, colorful props and stage pieces. In tandem with sculpture students from Belmont University, students from each school will construct stories and create coordinating performance paraphernalia as part of the Deliciously Happy installation.The gallery will include weekly craft nights facilitated by Nashville’s Craftville. A reception will be held 5 to 7 p.m. March 1 with special guest Megan Kelly from studiOmnivorous.

Bailey, who is working on her master’s degree in education, created Deliciously Happy as an offshoot of her graduate research. Through the project she works with students from the the three schools to create social issue-based stories and accompanying art work. Through her fundraising efforts, Bailey has provided project supplies and video crews to document the students’ works for 12 of the 24 workshops. Read more.

Symposium Focuses on Asian View of Self
Belmont University hosted its third annual Asian Studies Symposium the week of Feb. 20 and featured several events focused on the evolving meaning of self in Asian cultures.This year’s theme was “Self and Selfhood in East Asia.” Among the lectures was Belmont Professor Pete Giordano speaking on what students can learn from Buddha and Confucius.

The Asian Studies Symposium was recognized by the Ministry of the Foreign Affairs of Japan as part of the Centennial Celebration of the Gift of Trees. Tokyo, Japan Mayor Yukio Ozaki gave Japanese cherry trees to the city of Washington, D.C. on March 27, 1912. Read more.

Belmont Freshman Sinks Shot for Tuition
Monday night’s men’s basketball game was unlike any other game freshman J.T. Faircloth previously attended. With one swish, he earned one semester of Belmont tuition.

Faircloth said he had been practicing for the shot the day of, but was not successful.

“Most of the day I had been missing from the area we were supposed to be shooting from. I’m gonna say it was a miracle. I’m not that good,” Faircloth said. After the last participant missed the final 3-point shot, and Faircloth realized he had won, he took the familiar prayerful pose made popular by Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

“I didn’t just do that for show. I really did pray,” he said.

Faircloth said his favorite part of the evening was the Athletics Department’s determination to give away the tuition. Since no one made the half-court tuition shot during the basketball season, Faircloth and the other students who’d attempted it were invited back to try again at the final home game. When no one succeeded in making a basket from half court, the group was moved into the 3-point area. After three rounds of shooting from there, Faircloth was named winner.

“I was worried that if no one made the shot, no one would get tuition.  They were determined to give it away, and I really appreciate that,” Faircloth said.

Bishop of Nashville Hosts Belmont’s Ash Wednesday Service
The Most Reverend David R. Choby Bishop of Nashville joined Father John Sims Baker, the priest who serves Belmont’s Catholic community, and the Office of Spiritual Development on Ash Wednesday to host a service for faculty, staff and students.

Held in honor of the liturgical tradition of Lent, Ash Wednesday celebrates the first of a 40-day fasting period observed in preparation for the Easter season.

Bishop Choby spoke about the human need for physical manifestations of religious reality and how the ashes are a sign of both humans’ mortality and penitence. This season reminds Christians of what has come before and what will come after. It is an invitation for each person to reflect on his or her relationship with God.

He also told the story of both creation and the prodigal son.

“I pray that God will bless us with a deep love for him and a deeper understanding of his love for us,” he said.

Bruins Return to Campus for Homecoming 2012
Homecoming 2012 was a success with alumni returning to campus to make their “Destination: Belmont.”

The week-long celebration began Feb. 13 and featured several concerts, a residence hall banner competition for students, a campus-wide pep rally and bonfire and concluded with a basketball doubleheader.

Hope Cooper, a senior studying public relations and education, and Taylor Dillon, a junior studying management, were elected Homecoming Queen and King. Also on the Homecoming Court were Bianca Edwards, Katie Hudson, Shirah Foy, Shai Wilkins, Johnathan Butler, Kevin Deschler, Jordan Kirkdorffer and Rami Nofal. Read more.

Click here to view photos from Homecoming 2012.

ACHIEVERS

Click here for stories on the recent accomplishments of Belmont’s students, faculty, staff and alumni. This week highlights include Steve Leslie, Cathy Ficzere, Natalie Newbill, Dove Award nominees, Katelyn Epperly, Harry Chapman, the Speech and Debate team, Lori McGrew, Pam Parry, Lindsey Bailey, Dorren Robinson, Sybril Bennett,  Sue Trout and Kevin Trowbridge.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Off-Campus Parking Reminder
We want to encourage Belmont students, faculty and staff to refrain from parking on nearby streets.  As a reminder, you are not permitted  to park in “no parking zones” or any private business lots.  The Metropolitan Police Department will ticket and tow your vehicle if you leave your car anywhere that would block alleys or driveways or in a residential permit-only area. These areas are identified by green and white signs and are available only for people who live in homes without driveways near Belmont who have obtained a parking permit from Metro.

Belmont provides students, faculty and staff free alternative transportation to and from campus—including bicycle rentals, the Music City Star rail system and Metropolitan Transit Authority buses. Click here for more information on campus parking and alternative transportation options.

Belmont Basketball Hoop Hour
Join Belmont men’s basketball head coach Rick Byrd and Belmont women’s basketball head coach Brittney Ezell for the Hoop Hour luncheon series, presented by Trane. The monthly series will feature a lunch buffet, along with an opportunity to watch game highlights and hear commentary from Coach Byrd and Coach Ezell.  The final Hoop Hour is noon to 1 p.m. March 7 in the Vince Gill Room. Registration will begin at 11:30 a.m. Tickets are available at $10 per person and must be purchased in advance. To order, call the Box Office at (615) 460-BALL or order online.

Sodexo Brings Sampling of Slovenian Food to Belmont March 1-2
Campus dining provider Sodexo is proud to bring Chef Tomo Irsic, a native of Slovenia, to the kitchens here at Belmont to prepare several meals for students, faculty and staff March 1 – 2. Chef Irsic will be preparing a wide variety of Slovenian food including: Octopus Salad Littoral Style, Visoko Pork Roast with Vegetable Noodles, Spinach Noodles with Smoked Salmon and Olives as well as Isrtian Fritule, a traditional Slovenian dessert, just to name a few. Chef Irsic’s dishes will be available in the Gabhart Dining Hall on March 1 from 4:30-7 p.m. in as well as for the lunch service on March 2 from 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. For more information, contact Meghan Orga at meghan.orga@sodexo.com or 615-460-8333.

Harold Love Outstanding Community Service Award
Every year the Tennessee Higher Education Commission recognizes outstanding community service performed at the campus level by students and faculty with the Harold Love Outstanding Community Service Award. Five students and five faculty members throughout the state are selected to receive a $1,000 award. We would love for the great work being done by those in the Belmont community to be recognized by this program. This is yet another opportunity to demonstrate Belmont’s mission to transform our community and the world.

We’d like to ask that you please submit to Tim Stewart a one-paragraph nomination of either a Belmont student or faculty community service project by Feb. 24. Please include a brief description of the activity and the nominee’s role in activity, as well as how long the activity has been underway and how the activity has benefited the community.  All submissions will be reviewed by the Provost Council as well as the Offices of Community Relations and Service-Learning to select nominees for the student and faculty categories.

Thank you for your help in recognizing all of our community service initiatives.

Tickets On Sale for April 15 Sara Bareilles Concert in Curb Event Center
Grammy-nominated artist Sara Bareilles will be in concert at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, April 15 in Belmont University’s Curb Event Center. Tickets for the show are on sale now, and Belmont students, faculty and staff can receive an exclusive discount. An American singer-songwriter, pianist and three-time Grammy Award nominee, Bareilles is responsible for two best-selling albums, Little Voice (2007) and Kaleidoscope Heart (2010), as well as hit radio singles “Love Song” and “King of Anything.”

Belmont students, faculty and staff can purchase exclusive discounted tickets for this event:

• Belmont Students – $15 (1 ticket limit)
  • Faculty & Staff – $20 (2 ticket limit)
  • Regular Price – $25

All seating for the concert is general admission. Please click here to take advantage of the Belmont discount. For more information, contact the Curb Event Center ticket office at (615) 460-8500.

Why I Give: Faculty Staff Campaign
“I give to Belmont because Belmont is family! My mother graduated from here when I was five years old. A fellow student would watch me while my mother attended classes. I vividly remember my mother’s graduation day and how proud we all were,” said Glenda Dahlhauser, a graphic designer in University Marketing and Special Initiatives. “I have seen Belmont grow to become an outstanding University over my lifetime and in the 12 years since I started working here. I believe in Belmont, its mission and values. Belmont continues to play an important role  in my life. I am proud to say I work at Belmont!”

Belmont is in the process of wrapping up the Faculty Staff Campaign for Fiscal Year 2012. We will have weekly updates for you in FYI. If you have not participated in the past, we encourage you to join us.  No gift is too small, and your gift can be directed to an area of interest to you. Participation is the key! For more information contact Harry Chapman at harry.chapman@belmont.edu  or call (615) 460-6690.

Every individual who participates in the 2012 Faculty Staff Campaign will be entered into a drawing to win a limo ride from Belmont by Matchless Transportation to The Palm Restaurant and enjoy dinner for two. Following dinner, we have two box seats for a Thursday evening Nashville Symphony classical concert. The deadline to contribute is April 1.  For information on how to enter the contest without contributing, please contact Harry Chapman at (615) 460-6690. Also we will create competition groups. Any group that reaches 100-percent participation will have a pizza party courtesy of Sodexo. Group details coming.  It’s crunch time!  Be 100 percent Belmont!

COMING UP

Friday, Feb. 24, 7:30 p..m.
The House of Bernarda Alba
Additional performances Saturday at 2 and 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $12 for faculty and staff.
Troutt Theater

Monday, Feb. 27, 10 a.m.
Residence Hall Topping Out Ceremony
Bruin Hills
There will be a special announcement.

Monday, Feb. 27, 10 a.m.
Embodying the Word
Massey Boardroom

Monday, Feb. 27, 7:30 p.m.
Belmont Camerata
Belmont Mansion

Tuesday, Feb. 28, 10 a.m.
America’s Global Engagement
Chairman of the U.S. Global Leadership Coalition George Ingram will focus on the importance of America’s global engagement and the impact on Tennessee’s economy and security.
McWhorter Hall 114

Tuesday, Feb. 28, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Faculty/Staff Appreciation Luncheon
Curb Event Center Arena Floor
Catered by Jim N’ Nick’s. You won’t want to miss the special programming and an announcement.

Tuesday, Feb. 28, 6 p.m.
Social Sciences Symposium
Distinguished panelists discuss ways in which the academic disciplines of history, sociology and political science inform the debate on societal inequalities.
Frist Lecture Hall

Tuesday, Feb. 28, 7:30 p.m.
Wind Ensemble Festival
Massey Concert Hall

Wednesday, Feb. 29, 10 a.m.
Former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey: World Christianity
Neely Dining Room

Check the University calendar for other upcoming community and convocation events.
Visit the Belmont Athletics website for information about upcoming athletic events.

IN OUR THOUGHTS & PRAYERS

Belmont is a Christian community of learning and service that strives to support its members through prayer. The following concern has come to our attention recently:

• Sarah Strickland, mother of Athletics Director Mike Strickland, passed away Feb. 16. Her funeral was held Feb. 19 at Carter’s Funeral Home in Winder, Ga.

Please keep the Strickland family in your thoughts and prayers.

BIRTHDAYS

If you notice an incorrect or missing birthday, please e-mail the update to communication@belmont.edu.

Feb. 24
Darrell Gwaltney, Religion

March 1
Fred Kendall, President’s Office

March 2
Judy Fisher, President’s Office
Todd Lake, Spiritual Development

February 17, 2012

PHOTOS OF THE WEEK

Homecoming banners hang outside of each of the residence halls this week.

Teresa Cheung and the University Symphony Orchestra perform at the Encore Award concert Feb. 14.

Web Programming Services Manager Paul Chenoweth poses with his pottery at the Alumni Art Show Gallery Talk and Reception on Feb. 16.