January 27, 2012

PHOTOS OF THE WEEK

Construction workers, contractors and the Belmont community celebrated the Randall and Sadie Baskin Center topping out on Jan. 24. The Baskin Center will house a high-end furnished Trial Courtroom, a two-story Law Library, three auditorium-style classrooms, a dozen classrooms, an appellate courtroom, more than 20 faculty offices and a Grand Lobby Rotunda area. Read more in Belmont News.

BELMONT NEWS

Annual ‘Sex and the Soul’ Week Continues Dialogue on Faith, Love
The biology of love and attraction distracts our minds from reality, marriage and family counselor John Van Epp told Belmont students at a convocation Tuesday as part of the third annual “Sex and the Soul” week.

“Love is blind partly because of biology but also because people don’t manage their hearts because they do not get to know the right stuff,” said Van Epp, author of How to Avoid Falling for a Jerk: Following Your Heart Without Losing Your Mind.

“When you sit up all night talking, you might know a lot about him, but do you really know him? In a healthy development of a relationship, let how well you know someone determine how much you trust them and do not bring too many needs so that you don’t rely on them,” told students during a Tuesday afternoon convocation. Read more.

Athletics, SGA Initiate ‘Guest Coach’ Honor
Belmont Athletics, along with corporate sponsor Cowan Benefit Services, has initiated a “guest coach” program at men’s home basketball games to honor a Belmont faculty or staff member.

The honorees are selected through a nomination process done by SGA where Congress members are invited to suggest a nominee and discuss what impact the individual has on the Belmont community and why he or she should be chosen. Congress then decides on that week’s Guest Coach recipient.

SGA President Rachel McNabb said, “It is such a rewarding moment to be able to reflect and share stories as to how so many professors have impacted the lives of Belmont students. I know that myself, Cabinet and Congress feel blessed to have the opportunity to give back to our professors in such a small but significant way.” Read more.

Belmont University ‘Tops Out’ Baskin Center
Belmont University’s College of Law celebrated the official “topping out” ceremony on Jan. 24 for the Randall and Sadie Baskin Center, a 71,000 square foot facility that will serve as the College’s permanent home upon the building’s completion this summer. In August 2011, Belmont’s College of Law welcomed its charter class of 132 students who hail from 14 different states.

College of Law founding Dean Jeff Kinsler said, “From breaking ground on this building to hiring our first faculty members to welcoming our charter class, Belmont’s College of Law has already achieved some incredible milestones. Today we celebrate another as we ‘top out’ this building which will soon house Middle Tennessee’s next generation of great legal minds and community leaders.” Read more.

Mick Hedgepeth Named Finalist for Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award
Belmont University men’s basketball senior Mick Hedgepeth has been named as one of 10 finalists for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award.

An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School®, the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.

Hedgepeth, who ranks 11th on the Bruins’ NCAA era career scoring list with 1,063 points, was the 2011 Atlantic Sun Tournament Most Valuable Player as Belmont went 30-5 and earned a fourth NCAA Tournament appearance a year ago. The Crossville, Ala. native has 52 career double figure scoring games and is second among active Atlantic Sun Conference players in career rebounds and fifth in career points.  Read more.

Alumna Shares Stories from India Mission
Belmont alumna Megan Stephens (’09) returned to campus on Jan. 20 as part of the “Alumni on Mission” series in an event sponsored by the Belmont Ambassadors and the Office of Alumni Relations. Alumni on Mission is an ongoing speaker series featuring Belmont alumni who incorporate mission and ministry in their everyday lives.

Shortly after graduating from college, Stephens said she felt God called her to two things: missions and teaching.

“I felt like God wanted me to do missions, but I didn’t know when, where or how,” said Stephens, who studied middle school teaching.

Overcoming safety concerns from her family and the daunting task of raising $12,000, she moved to Siliguri, India in 2009 to home school the 17-year-old daughter of missionaries while looking for opportunities to do mission work herself. She has since become a Young Life representative, working with high school students in the small town, and an English teacher at a local seminary. Stephens continues homeschooling other children in exchange for her rent. Read more.

‘Music City Roots’ Takes on Distinctly Belmont Flavor

All the bands return to stage for the closing number at “Music City Roots” Jan. 25.

“Music City Roots at the Loveless Cafe” lured plenty of leather boots, flannel shirts and facial hair Wednesday night as the weekly, two-hour concert and live radio show often does. This week, however, the performance offered a uniquely Belmont-related theme. The Westbound Rangers, Leah Korbin, Shirock, Kopecky Family Band and the Apache Relay–all bands consisting of Belmont alumni or current students–pumped out bright and lively tones all night.

The audience reciprocated the school spirit with a large serving of Belmont students and faculty in attendance, including Curb College faculty members Dan Keen and Clyde Rolston, who helped organize the event. Click here to view the concert in its entirety. 

“Music City Roots” aims to revive the historic legacy of live musical radio production in Nashville. Broadcast on Wednesday nights from 7 to 9 p.m. on WRLT-Lightning 100, “Music City Roots: Live From the Loveless Cafe” showcases Nashville’s astonishing music scene. Host Jim Lauderdale and the bands closed the show Wednesday night with the weekly Loveless Jam tradition, this time gathering all the artists on stage for a final group performance of classic Beatles song, “Don’t Let Me Down.”

ACHIEVERS

Click here for stories on the recent accomplishments of Belmont’s students, faculty, staff and alumni. This week’s highlights are  Mark Schenkel, Melanie Walton, Vaughn May, Pam Parry, Brad Ramsey, Katie Rogers Langley and Courtney Grimes Cuden.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Why I Give: Faculty/Staff Campaign
“I give because I believe in the mission of Belmont, and the blessing I have to be a part of this special community. Belmont has given me so much in the time that I have been here, and I want to be a part of the University’s success and future with my gifts both physically and financially,” said Director of Development and Major Gifts Harry Chapman. “When I have lunch at the cafeteria, attend an athletic event or just walk across campus, I can see the future in our students’ faces and know I have the opportunity to be a part of that.  If you haven’t already, join me as we help make a great university even greater!”

Belmont is in the process of wrapping up the Faculty Staff Campaign for Fiscal Year 2012. We will have weekly updates for you in FYI, and coming soon, information on a campus wide competition. If you have not participated in the past, we encourage you to join us.  No gift is too small, and your gift can be directed to an area of interest to you. For more information, contact Harry Chapman at harry.chapman@belmont.edu  or (615) 460-6690.

Belmont Basketball Hoop Hour
Join Belmont men’s basketball head coach Rick Byrd and Belmont women’s basketball head coach Brittney Ezell for the all-new Hoop Hour luncheon series, presented by Trane. The monthly series will feature a lunch buffet, along with an opportunity to watch game highlights and hear commentary from Coach Byrd and Coach Ezell.

The next Hoop Hour is Wed., Feb. 1in the Vince Gill Room. Registration will begin at 11:30 a.m., followed by the program from noon to 1 p.m. Tickets are available at $10 per person and must be purchased in advance. To order, call the Box Office at (615) 460-BALL or order online.

Belmont Staff/Faculty Appreciation Night on Feb. 6
Please join your coworkers for a pre-game dinner 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 6 in Beaman A&B, followed by the men’s basketball game against Austin Peay at 7 p.m. For dinner reservations, please RSVP by Wednesday, Feb. 1 to belmontevent@belmont.edu or call (615) 460-6429. All staff, faculty and family members are welcome to attend the event.

To select your game tickets and print them from your desk, click here.  Just enter you BuID # and create a username and password (if you have not done so already). You may also reserve seats by calling the Box Office at (615) 460-2255, or visiting the Box Office (Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m.) at the Curb Event Center. Belmont Basketball… It’s Bruin Time!

Staff/Faculty Appreciation Night is sponsored by Cornerstone Financial Credit Union. Open a checking account by Feb. 6 and receive $75. Open an account before Feb. 20 and receive $50. Register to win a Kindle Fire at the dinner.

COMING UP

Friday, Jan. 27, 4 p.m.
Sex & the Soul Week: Open and Affirming Congregations
University Ministries Student Lounge

Saturday, Jan. 28, 4-7:30 p.m.
Community Health Fair
Maddox Grand Atrium
An event open to the Belmont campus as well as attendees of the doubleheader basketball games, the health fair will include simple health screenings and distribution of wellness materials and information.

Saturday, Jan. 28, 5-9:15 p.m.
Belmont Bruins Host Jacksonville Dolphins
Curb Event Center Arena
Women tip off at 5 p.m., and men at 7:15 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 29, 2-5 p.m.
Nashville Ballet Presents Aesop’s Fables
Massey Concert Hall

Monday, Jan. 30, 10 a.m.
Joan Titus “Listening to Shostakovich as Film Composer”
Massey Concert Hall

Monday, Jan. 30, 7 p.m.
Men’s Basketball vs. UNF
Curb Event Center Arena

Tuesday, Jan. 31, 5-7 p.m.
MLK Celebration: Real Talk
Beaman first floor conference room
Sessions also at 5 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday.

Tuesday, Jan. 31, 7-8 p.m.
Rape Aggression Defense Class
 Kennedy Hall entrance floor classroom

Wednesday, Feb. 1, 10 a.m.
Jimmy Dorrell: Plunge to Poverty
Neely Dining Room

Thursday, Feb. 2, 4 p.m.
Little Brother Film – Nashville Premiere
Maddox Grand Atrium
Little Brother
is a series of 15-minute documentary films dedicated to giving black boys a unique voice. Immediately following the viewing of the film (approximately 20 minutes), Dr. Raymond Winbush, the narrator of the film, will facilitate a discussion among educators, civic leaders, public policy-makers, faculty and students, and others regarding the educational, public policy and public health issues impacting young black males.

Friday, Feb. 3, 10 a.m.
Helping Orphans and Widows
Both Hands Foundation founder and director JT Olson, and his wife and Office of Admissions staff member Sara Olson will tell you about this organization that is helping widows and orphans in one effort that serves both! Both Hands helps families raise money for adoptions using the vehicle of a work project on a widow’s home.
Neely Dining Room

Friday, Feb. 3, 10 a.m.
Do “Get Fit Quick” Programs Really Work?
Beaman Meeting Rooms A&B

Check the University calendar for other upcoming community and convocation events. Visit the Belmont Athletics website for information about upcoming athletic events.

IN OUR THOUGHTS & PRAYERS

Belmont is a Christian community of learning and service that strives to support its members through prayer. The following concern has come to our attention recently:

• Former Belmont University Athletic Director Larry Striplin Jr., 82, died Jan. 23 in a Birmingham, Ala. hospital. He established Belmont’s first men’s basketball team in 1952, and served in that capacity for four years, along with coaching baseball and serving as Belmont’s first Athletic Director. Click here to read more about Mr. Striplin and his impact on regional athletics. Visitation will be held on 5-8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 27 at the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame at 2150 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. in  Birmingham, Ala. A service celebrating his life will be held on 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 28 at First United Methodist Church in Birmingham, Ala. Burial will be at 4 p.m. that day at Live Oak Cemetery at 300 Dallas Ave. in Selma, Ala., following a brief graveside service. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made in Mr. Striplin’s name to Birmingham-Southern College through the Office of Institutional Advancement, 900 Arkadelphia Road, Birmingham, Ala. 35254; to the Bryant-Jordan Student-Athlete Program, P.O. Box 10163, Birmingham, Ala. 35202; or to the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, 2150 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. Birmingham, Ala.

Please keep the Striplin family in your thoughts and prayers.

BIRTHDAYS

If you notice an incorrect or missing birthday, please e-mail the update to communication@belmont.edu. Happy belated birthday to Jimmy Frush in Athletics Marketing, who celebrated on Jan. 22.

Jan. 27
Andrew Huff, Maintenance Service
Michael Pinter, Math/Computer Science
Susan Saunders, Human Resources

Jan. 28
Paul Gatrell, Theatre

Jan. 29
Carolyn Burress, CEMB
Sara Camp, Nursing

Jan. 30
Julie Hawley, Health Services

Feb. 1
Greg Pillon, Office of Communications

Feb. 3
Jill Robinson, Center for Executive Education

January 20, 2012

PHOTO OF THE WEEK

Belmont, TSU and Lipscomb students volunteered at Red Cross and Feed the Children on Jan. 14 during the MLK Day of Service. MLK Week concludes with the Journey in Jazz Concert at 7 p.m. Jan. 20 in the Vince Gill Room. Jazz musician Rahsaan Barber and his band Everyday Magic and Belmont faculty Cheryl Slay and Bruce Dudley offer a performance and dynamic conversation about the complexities of jazz and how the genre relates to American identity and democracy.