July 30, 2010

PHOTO OF THE WEEK

BugCamp2010.jpg
Bug Camp 2010
Biology professor Steve Murphree is again offering school-aged children opportunities to explore the insect world by attending the ‘Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies’ day camps. An introduction to the biology of insects and other arthropods, the courses explore how they live, where they can be found and the potential benefit or harm they represent.

BELMONT NEWS

College of Business Administration Hosts Ninth Annual TSCPA Accounting Academy
2010AccountingAcademy.jpgBelmont University’s College of Business Administration (COBA) recently hosted 46 high school students and rising college freshmen from across the state of Tennessee for the ninth annual Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants (TSCPA) Accounting Academy. Directed by Dr. Del DeVries, assistant professor of accounting and information systems, and Dr. Jane Dillard-Eggers, associate professor of accounting, this free, four-day camp offers students the opportunity to explore careers in accounting and learn more about the dynamic world of business. The students participated in multiple interactive team projects and visited several area businesses, including Deloitte & Touche, Ernst & Young, Lattimore Black Morgan & Cain, and the Tennessee Titans Practice Facility.
Participants found the experience to be enlightening, making such comments as “It has opened my eyes and shown me that this is something that is interesting, and it’s a job I could never get bored in” and “I am excited about the things I learned about the different accounting careers and all of the friends I made here. I plan to use my experience to choose my career in accounting and to apply it to my life.” Click here for more on this story.

ACHIEVERS

Click here for stories on the recent accomplishments of Belmont’s students, faculty, staff and alumni.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Campus Phones Down on Saturday; Temporary Number for Campus Security
This Saturday, July 31, Belmont will be upgrading the campus phone switch (PBX) starting at 7 a.m. and lasting until 5 p.m. The upgrade requires the PBX to be completely shut down for 8 to 10 hours, but hopefully less time will be required with phone services available by mid- afternoon. During the downtime Campus Security can be reached at 615-476-6418 for any campus emergency.
Please contact Randall Reynolds if you have any questions about the planned downtime or any other coordination we need to include as part of the planned downtime: 615-460-5471.
Fitness and Recreation Closed Aug. 2-6
Fitness and Recreation will be closed Monday, August 2- Friday, August 6 for maintenance. We will reopen Saturday, August 7 at 9 a.m. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Health Services Clinic Closed July 26-Aug. 6
Beginning Monday, July 26 – August 6, the Health Services clinic will be closed to relocate to the new academic building next to the Inman Center. During this period of relocation, communication and services may be temporarily disrupted. In case of emergency, contact Campus Security for assistance. The clinic will reopen on Monday, August 9, with our new hours 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we make this transition. We look forward to serving your health needs.

COMING UP

Monday-Tuesday, August 2-3
New Faculty Orientation
Friday, August 13, 7:30 p.m.
Commencement
Curb Event Center Arena

CONGRATULATIONS

WollaberBaby.JPGCongratulations to Debra Wollaber (Nursing) on the birth of her grandchild, Kavin Jotun Bond Wollaber, the son of Diane (’05 nursing alumna) and Raj Chudgar. Kavin was born June 28 at 12:58 a.m. and weighs 10 lbs. 9 oz and was 21 inches long.

IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS

Belmont is a Christian community of learning and service that strives to support its members through prayer. The following concerns have come to our attention recently. Thank you for including them in your prayers:
Russell B. Driver, who taught at Belmont in the College of Business Administration prior to his retirement in 1983, passed away July 17 after a short illness. A memorial service is being held for him on Mon., Aug. 2 at 4:30 p.m. at the McKendree Village Retirement Community Chapel. Click here for more details. Please keep the Driver family in your thoughts and prayers.

BIRTHDAYS

If you notice an incorrect or missing birthday, please e-mail the update to communication@belmont.edu.
July 30
Chris Agans, Residence Life
Jeff Kirk, Music
Debbie Jacobs, Religion
Jennifer Wetzel, Office of Communications
July 31
Helen Bond, Student Financial Services
Laurianne Cates, Development
David Graham, Curb Event Center
August 2
John Halle, Physical Therapy
August 3