January 25, 2008

PHOTO OF THE WEEK

PharmFac.jpg
School of Pharmacy Introduces Faculty Team for First Year
Dr. Philip E. Johnston, Dean of Belmont University’s School of Pharmacy (BUSOP), announced today that he has completed the hiring process for the necessary faculty/staff team for the 2008-09 academic year. Anticipating a full first class of 75 students, the BUSOP program currently has ten full-time faculty members in place, all of whom boast impressive credentials in education, research and practice. For more on this story, click here.

BELMONT NEWS

You’re Invited…
gift announcement.jpg

ACHIEVERS

BUSOP Faculty Assist with Toy Drive
On Dec. 20, four members of the Belmont University School of Pharmacy spent the day volunteering at the Sixty-First Avenue United Methodist Church Last Minute Toy Store. Led by “Head Elf” Dean Phil Johnston, Drs. Salvatore Giorgianni, Cathy Turner and Julie Rafferty participated in the distribution of around 20,000 toys/gifts to 3,902 children from approximately 1,380 families in the Nashville area. According to Dr. Johnston, while it was hard work it was a rewarding way to remind us of all the blessings that we enjoy and the ever present need and opportunities for community service.
Student Athletes Reach New Heights in the Classroom for Fall 2007
The Belmont University Department of Athletics recently announced that its student-athletes had one of their most successful semesters in the classroom since the program moved to NCAA Division I. For the 2007 fall semester, Belmont had a department grade point average (GPA) of 3.254, which is the highest GPA for the fall semester in the department’s Division I era. The fall 2007 GPA is also among the top-three highest GPAs recorded by the department in both the fall or spring semesters behind a 3.288 in the spring of 2002 and 3.273 in the spring of 2005. Also, every Belmont team had a team GPA of over 3.0 for the first time in the Division I era. The top three sports in terms of team GPA are Women’s Cross Country (3.619), Women’s Golf (3.538) and Men’s Golf (3.503). In addition, nearly 72 percent of Belmont student-athletes earned a 3.0 GPA for the fall semester. For more on this story, click here.
Slay Published in Maryland Bar Journal
slay.jpgCheryl L. Slay, the newest addition to the Curb College Music Business faculty, published an article in the January 2008 issue of the Maryland Bar Journal titled “MySpace or Whose Space Is It?” The article discusses the Digital Millennium Copyright Act as it applies to web site operators, including statutory framework, court interpretations, guidance to legal practitioners and recent litigation. Slay is a Business Law attorney with a particular focus on Intellectual Property and entertainment industry matters. Her professional credits also include extensive experience in managing and advising public sector programs on matters ranging from consumer protection and privacy to equal employment and administrative law, and her previous teaching experience includes courses at The University of Baltimore School of Law, The University of Maryland School of Law and The Maryland State Bar Association. For more information on Slay, visit http://www.slaylaw.com.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Update on Thrailkill Hall Incident
We wanted to follow up with the Belmont community regarding the potential security threat on Monday evening at Thrailkill Hall. As you know, after a thorough search, Metro Police and Campus Security found no evidence of a security threat.
Immediately following the search, we relied on the efforts of our Residence Life staff to communicate with Thrailkill residents and let them know that all was clear. On Tuesday, those efforts were followed by a faculty/staff e-mail and message on BIC, and the Dean of Students sent an e-mail to parents who are signed up for the parents’ newsletter informing them of the incident and the security measures taken. Dr. Fisher met with a group of students, and Residence Life staff at Thrailkill Hall held a meeting on Tuesday evening for hall residents to address questions and concerns that they might have. Additionally, university representatives met to review procedures for such events.
There is no higher priority than the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and we are proud of the rapid response from the Office of Campus Security. Moving forward, we will carefully examine every aspect of this incident and any others that may occur and take actions as necessary to fine-tune our campus security and communication policies.
Belmont Homecoming 2008: February 7-9
FYIHomecoming2008.jpg
Friday, February 8 – Wear your Belmont Colors Day!
Homecoming Celebration Lunch – Friday, February 8, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Join us in the Maddox Grand Atrium for the 2nd Annual Homecoming Celebration Lunch as we dine on chili and hot dogs and hear from Coach Cross and Coach Byrd. Cost is $6 for faculty and staff. Make reservations by Feb. 4 by calling x6723 or e-mail Kristy Collins collinsk@mail.belmont.edu
Tip-Off Indoor Tailgate – Saturday, February 9, 1-2 p.m.
It’s time to celebrate, and get your game face on. A myriad of festivities for the entire family. Cornhole, basketball, face decals, grab bags, “Build a Bruin,” balloon animals, autographs by Bruiser & much more.
Belmont Bruins vs. North Florida Ospreys – 2 p.m. / 4:15 p.m.
It’s a “white out!” Help us create a “sea of white” at Homecoming ’08. Purchase the official Homecoming T-shirt [$5] or come dressed in your favorite white attire as we support our Bruins in their effort to “white out” the opposition.
Homecoming “Clothe-Off” – – Monday, January 28-Saturday, February 9
This community service initiative, sponsored by the M.O.B, is a clothing drive for needy students attending LaVergne Lake Elementary. Final collection opportunity occurring at the Homecoming Game. (What to donate: winter clothes [new or gently used], jackets, mittens, gloves, scarves or money to purchase these items).
Donation sites: Office of Athletics – Curb Event Center, Mezzanine Level
Office of Alumni Relations, Fidelity Hall, 1st Floor

IT’S ALL BELMONT TO ME – Belmont FYI Feature Profile of the Week

Do It Right
Renee Ruthven.jpgThis week’s Belmont FYI feature profile of the week has been a part of the Belmont community for 10 years. Renee Ruthven was nominated for the third guiding principle – Do It Right – for her work as a Crime Prevention Officer and Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) Instructor.
What Renee enjoys most about her job is the feeling that she makes a difference. “At Belmont, I have been given so much freedom to set up programs based on the needs of the students,” Renee said. “When you have so many people believe in you and who allow you to do what you do, there’s nothing better.” Renee also says that if only one student is protected from a possible theft or rape because of one of her programs, then it was all worth it.
For Renee, to do it right means leading by example. “I have always believed in giving the best of yourself in all situations,” Renee said. “I was once a student here. I know how precious time is. If a student is attending a R.A.D. class, then they are obviously concerned about their personal safety. I cannot justify taking shortcuts and possibly putting their life on the line.”
Renee also said that she feels a personal obligation to educate women and to let them know that it is okay to speak what’s on their mind. “That is why programs like Tongue Fu and R.A.D. are so important to me. I want to empower these women.”

its all belmont_pocket.jpg

Do you know a Belmont employee who embodies one of the five Guiding Principles? Nominate them for a Belmont FYI Feature Profile of the Week! Please send their name and a brief description of how they meet the criteria to the It’s All Belmont to Me Committee for consideration.
To read more about Belmont’s new service initiative, click here to view the “It’s All Belmont to Me” Web site. This Web site will explain the history, training and other elements of this program.

BFIT • BU

BFit•BU Profile: Anne Edmunds
anneedmunds.jpgToday’s featured fitness interview profiles Anne Edmunds, the associate director of Admissions.
What is your favorite type of exercise? i.e. Group Fitness Cardio or weight training.
I love walking. There are some trails in my neighborhood that are great for solo walks or walks with a friend. Also, I really enjoy Yoga, since it is good for both the mind and body. I just tried Pilates and really liked it as well. I have enjoyed working out with Jenn Stepaniuk, my personal trainer. She takes into consideration what areas I want to focus on, what restrictions I may have and then she tells me what to do.
Have you noticed a difference in yourself?
Yes! I have lost weight, my body fat percentage has decreased, my muscle mass has increased, my clothes fit better and my friends and colleagues can all tell the difference!
With such a busy schedule how do you fit healthy living in?
You have to make it a priority in your life. For me, that means fitting into my schedule. Personal training has been great for that because of the accountability factor. If I have a scheduled training session, I am committed to showing up at the Beaman. There is always the possibility I can back out of a group fitness session, even if I have it on my calendar, in favor of going home or having dinner with friends. Scheduling time for a long walk with a friend allows me to both exercise and catch up with that friend. I love the efficiency of it!

BFit•BU Health and Fitness Tip
Lots of people work their abs every day, but that is usually not the best way to do it. Treat your abs like any other muscles and work them every other day for the best results. Do two or three different exercises, with two or three sets of each. Do your ab exercises slowly and to the point of fatigue.
Third Annual National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day
Mark your calendars! On Wed., Feb. 20, the Beaman Center is hosting its Third Annual National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day. It’s the biggest fitness day of the year, and we have a full schedule of events to celebrate. This year, we are featuring a special convocation with David Griffin from Season 4 of “The Biggest Loser” and Mark Sutton from D1 Sports Training, an exclusive Eddie George fitness challenge, a 5K Polar Bear Fun Run, free massages, a free MOB cookout, and so much more! With over 13 events and 30 sponsors, you are sure to find some way to celebrate Health and Fitness on this special day. Great prizes, free T-shirts, and more will be given out all day long. For a detailed list of events, please go to http://forum.belmont.edu/bfitbu and check out what our day has in store for you!

COMING UP

Saturday, January 26, 6 a.m.
MLK Bus Trip to Atlanta
Visit the Civil Rights sites in Atlanta. Bond with the Belmont community on the bus trip to and from Atlanta. Trip will depart from the Circle driveway in front of Wheeler at 6 a.m., returning on or before 8 p.m. the same day. Contact Mary Godwin (godwinm@mail.belmont.edu) for more information.
Sunday, January 27, 2 p.m.
Carnival of Animals in collaboration with Nashville Ballet
The Nashville Ballet will once again present a ballet specifically designed for the younger audience. All music will be composed by a School of Music faculty member and will be performed by School of Music students and faculty. Come out and enjoy an afternoon at the ballet!
MPAC
Sunday, January 27, 6 p.m.
Chadasha Gospel Choir Home Concert
Chadasha Gospel Choir presents its annual home concert for all music, gospel music, choir and fellowship enthusiasts.
Belmont Heights Baptist Church Sanctuary
Monday, January 28, 10 a.m.
EMERGE: Reflect, Refocus, Renew
EMERGE is a week-long experience for the Belmont Community meant to inspire and encourage us in our corporate and individual walk with the Lord. Dr. Leonard Sweet will speak at this opening event. The author of more than 100 articles and 30 books, he has served at Drew University as both a professor and as Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of the Theological School. He was on the faculty of George Fox University and was President of United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio.
Neely
Monday, January 28, 1:30 p.m.
Belmont Press Conference
Join us as Belmont unveils one of the largest gifts in the history of the university.
The plaza on Belmont Boulevard outside the Maddox Grand Atrium
Monday, January 28, 7:30 p.m.
Faculty Concert Series with Kristian Klefstad and Kathryn Paradise
Belmont Mansion
Wednesday, January 30, 10 a.m.
EMERGE: Spiritual Practices for the 21st Century
Tony Jones, the national coordinator of Emergent U.S. (www.emergentvillage.com) and a senior research fellow in practical theology at Princeton Theological Seminary, is the author of Cultivating Authentic Community, Creating Holistic Connections, The Sacred Way: Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life, The Most Difficult Journey You’ll Ever Make: The Pilgrim’s Progress and You Converted Me: The Confessions of St. Augustine.
Neely
Wednesday, January 30, 4-6 p.m.
Opening Reception – Pink: New Art by Libby Row
Libby Rowe’s interests reside in defining and redefining women’s issues to produce a new forum of discussion on what it is to be a female- physiologically, sociologically and psychologically.
Leu Art Gallery (Library)
Friday, February 1, 7 p.m.
LOCATE Banquet
Belmont University is committed to helping individuals discern their calling with a focus on how the intersection of self, community and world inform that process. The LOCATE Banquet will feature special guest Rev. Becca Stevens of St. Augustine’s Chapel, Magdalene House and Thistle Farms. Becca is an author, Episcopal priest and seeker after the heart of God, who sees the heartache and possibility of each human life. The cost for the dinner and program is $20. At 6:30 p.m., Becca will be available to sell and sign copies of her new book, Hither and Yon: A Travel Guide for the Spiritual Journey. In order to reserve your space, please contact Mark Bryant (bryantm@mail.belmont.edu) or Amy Coles (colesa@mail.belmont.edu) in the Office of the Dean of Students (x6407).
Frist Lecture Hall
Ongoing
Martin Luther King and the African-American Religious Tradition
This exhibit of photos on loan from the Nashville Public Library celebrates Martin Luther King, Jr. and his contribution to our nation’s religious heritage.
Bunch Library, First Floor

CONGRATULATIONS

Mrs. Taryn Forrester, office manager in the Office of the Registrar, gave birth to a beautiful 7 lbs 15 oz. baby girl last Saturday, named Tessa Lynn Forrester. Taryn and her husband Jim Forrester are both Belmont graduates. The family is doing well.