Temples in Siem Reap

Temple VisitsThis morning all but four of us left the Red Piano Hotel in Siem Reap at 5:00 AM to see the sunrise at Ankor Wat, one of the famous temples in Cambodia. Unfortunately, there were clouds and we couldn’t see the wonderful sunrise but it was still worth it and fun any ways. We then toured another one of the ancient temples before meeting up with the four people who stayed behind. They then brought us our breakfast (french bread and freshly sliced fruit) and we ate at a little restaurant where we got iced coffee Cambodian style. The coffee was delicious! It is basically iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk for sweetener.
The group then saw several more temples, one of which included where they filmed the movie Tomb Raider. We then came back to Siem Reap and most of us got a foot massage from this great place down the street. We were so relaxed! Lunch followed, then free time to explore the town. Melissa, Hannah, Kristian, Emily P., and I went to the local market and had a fun time bartering for goods. As soon as we were done it started pouring down rain, so we hired a Tuk Tuk, a Cambodian motorbike driver with a cart hitched on for passengers, to take us back to the hotel (which was quite an experience…). At the end of the day, we went to a dinner and traditional Khmer dance and now off to bed for yet another day of traveling…

Continue reading

The Center of Hope…and the Power of Togetherness

Mission to CambodiaToday was a very tiring and busy day, but it ended in the most refreshing of ways. To start, a group of us went on a 4 mile walk/run at 5:30 a.m., in which we enjoyed watching the city wake up and get ready for another long, humid workday. Some of us even jumped right in to a yoga class with the local Cambodians on the side of the road. Other interesting sights included the “town elephant” who was taking a stroll down to the king’s palace.
Later this morning, we headed off to Center of Hope for our second day in the hospital. We did similar kind of work as the previous day, but everyone rotated to a different department in the hospital to gain new experience. Anna even took control of many positions (Charge Nurse, Physical Therapist, RN, Nursing Student, etc…) all by herself. The pharmacy students were able to soak in an immense amount of information by following an Australian doctor during his rounds who was very generous in his teaching.
Today was also the first day for surgery (yesterday was the King’s birthday and no surgeries were to be performed), and Melissa and Halli enjoyed watching a thyroidectomy. This particular thyroidectomy was completed by a Cambodian surgeon and Claudine (the first assistant), who just completed medical school in the UK, and is now here volunteering at Center of Hope as well as serving Phnom Penh Church of Christ. The surgery was a great learning experience because the thyroid was the size of a small softball which usually would not get that big in the states due to early recognition. However, Cambodians are not so fortunate with early blood tests and other various methods to diagnose promptly. Also, Cambodians just recently started adding iodized salt into their diets, and many who have lived without this salt have not received sufficient iodide. Thus, their thyroid tissue compensates by enlarging and forming a “goiter”.

Continue reading

Hi from Siem Reap

michele.jpgWe are in Siem Reap this weekend. The Temples are unbelievable from a history perspective. ‘Got some rain this afternoon but not for long.
To all you parents out there who have kids on this trip–what an awesome group!! They are some of the finest kids I have met in a long time. They are great travelers and so excited about the work they are doing. You are blessed to have them, be proud and I am blessed to be able to share this experience with them.

First Day at the Hospital…a Wonderful Team

HalliToday was our first day in the hospital. We were all anxious to see the hospital and to see what our roles would be. As the largest group Belmont has sent to Cambodia it was interesting figuring out where each person would go in the small hospital in order to balance experiences and staffing. The group began the day by touring the hospital areas including ER, OR, surgical ward, medical ward, pharmacy, outpatient clinic and chronic care facility. We met many of the staff who are familiar with the Belmont groups and they welcomed us graciously.

Cambodia Hospital ERAfter we split up into groups, I took three students with me to the Emergency Room/Wound Care area. The emergency room is divided into four areas: triage, main ER, infectious disease, and wound care clinic. All patients admitted through the hospital are triaged through the ER. The day began busily with many patients waiting outside for triage through the ER and several patients already inside. One student was paired with a nurse in the infectious disease area where she was able to work with acutely ill HIV patients and patients suspected of having tuberculosis, meningitis and other tropical infections. Several severely ill patients came into this area who were admitted to the hospital. One young woman came in with a high fever, low blood pressure, tachypnea and decreased level of consciousness. After working with the patient, drawing blood, and admitting her it was later found out that she has septic pneumocystis pneumonia as a complication of late stage AIDS.

Continue reading

Hello from Chiang Mai, Thailand!

MelissaAfter close to 40 hours of traveling, we arrived in Chiang Mai with jet lag and excitement as the realization that we had reached our first destination halfway around the globe began to sink in. I can’t begin to describe how surreal this whole experience has been thus far. None of the group meetings and discussions could fully prepare me for the shock of being immersed in another country and culture. It’s such a unique experience to not only be an ethnic minority, but also to have a complete language barrier between myself and those surrounding me. Despite the differences, it is obvious how valued respect is in this culture. I am reminded that I need to be just as respectful of their culture. As an outsider, it is so easy to judge their culture by our Western standards but God is constantly reminding me to keep my eyes open to what He has to reveal and the beauty of His creation even on the other side of the world. Please continue to pray that we would see Him revealed even in the small things on this trip.
Already today we have had incredible opportunities to explore this country as we recover from jet lag before heading to Phnom Penh. This morning we woke up and took a rather frightening hour long van ride on the left side of the road to Maetang Elephant Park. Motos here do not have their own lanes but instead tend to follow the fastest course, even if that means riding the dotted line between two lanes and several trucks. Once at the elephant park, we all got to travel two by two on our very own elephants through the foot hills in the Chiang Mai Provence. This countryside seemed to preserve much of the Thai tradition, including huts with thatched roofs on stilts in rice paddies. The guides were unbelievably hospitable to us and served us a wonderful Thai lunch including fresh mango! I think we’ve already been spoiled by the delicious fresh fruit Thailand has to offer!

Continue reading

Bangkok – A Familiar Layover Airport

HannahAfter two days in Chiang Mai, we jumped on another plan to get to Phnom Penh. Somehow, the airports and planes feel more familiar than our hotel room. We had a four hour layover in Bangkok. It apparently is our layover city for the trip. We spied the corner that we slept in on our way to Chiang Mai, and I was particularly grateful for the daytime layover. One of my personal favorite parts of the day was when we played cards to pass the time. We played Egyptian Rat Race and B.S. Brandon also taught us how to play Copi, a Libyan card game taught to him by a friend. We were being international all around. It was a fun time to make memories as well as remember home, for card games are a family tradition during my family reunions. Other memories were made as well. Christine bought a block-type Rubik cube that we all became obsessed with. Almost every person tried at least once, with Brandon, Billy, and Bounchan spending a good amount of our flight and layover trying to tackle it. The worst part of it was that the girl who sold it was five and could complete the puzzle in under a minute. We have yet to solve it. I guess that will be our entertainment for the rest of the trip.

Continue reading