Day #1: Getting to Cambodia (PharmD Perspectives)

Getting to CambodiaGetting to Cambodia is not quick or easy; it costs a small fortune and takes more than a day of flight, airports, taxis, and Tuk-Tuks to arrive to any hotel. However, we had a great time doing it! On our first day, a group of around 30 students, professors, family, and even the dean of pharmacy took over the front of the Nashville International Airport. Traveling was a breeze! A thirty-something or so hour breeze… I don’t know if it was because of our group size, our smiles, or my safari hat… but our group slid, like butter on a hot pan, through every airport security checkpoint. It took less time to get through security as a large group then it ever has for me as an individual. On the plane ride from California to Hong Kong, we ate, watched movies, ate, slept, played games, and ate (at least I did). I have to mention that a majority of the pharmacy students played a game of “trivia” on the airplane and that I was able to beat Dan Stirling in Trivia. Normally, this never happens… so I have decided to blog about it so that he does not forget anytime soon. : )
O.k., enough bragging… I wanted to mention how great of a group we have going on this trip. I am not saying this just because I came. Seriously, every single student and faculty member, regardless of whether they are in pharmacy or nursing, are some of the most friendly people I have ever had the opportunity to spend time with in my life. I feel very blessed to be a part of such a group and I am already anticipated doing great things, and learning many life lessons with and from them. At this point, I have to admit that I am writing the blog for day #1 on day #3. That being said… I will give you a heads up and let you know that this assumption has already, in only 2 days, proven to be very correct. I will not spoil it for now… so you will have to read their blog days if you want to hear about that amazing work we are doing, and will be doing long after this trip is over with. (click image to see larger size)
In closing, I will briefly mention a couple of traveling tips that you should consider before planning a trip of your own to Cambodia. 1.) Don’t bring anything except a laptop and a power cord. You can buy everything here for a fraction of the cost, including luggage, cloths, hair gel, etc. 2.) Don’t even THINK about renting a car… get a Tuk-tuk. There are no noticeable traffic laws or traffic police here… and if you try to drive, you will crash. 3.) Bring a group of friends and strangers with you, the experience is lost without being able to talk about every second of your trip. 4.) Quit your job and just stay here forever! You will here more about this soon, but this country and experience is so amazing that you could spend a lifetime living, learning, and giving, and two weeks is just not enough.
Dan Myslakowski (PharmD Candidate, class of 2013)