Cambodia Forever In Our Hearts

SharonIn the mode of preparing to leave and saying our good-byes, we wake up to take a morning walk only to realize that we are too late to see the city wake up. It is already bustling with traffic and people; exercisers have gone to work; the sun is already high and hot in the sky. We see a couple of people still sleeping in hammocks or and one mother sending her children out to ask for food.
Last night as another farewell, we went to dinner with some of the friends in the church–the pastor, Sovann, and his wife, Sopheap, and their two young children; one of the nurse educators, Phalla, and her husband, Kenda, and their two beautiful daughters; Sotia and wife, Paesset, and 7 year old son who was only one year old when I first met them. It was one of my favorite times on the trip; a relaxed and comfortable time with children laughing, entertaining us with their singing, and playing silly games as children everywhere do. It is so amazing to be able to share in this way with people all the way around the world! We discussed raising children, stories of engagement and marriage, illness, faith, victories.
Good-Byes CLICK TO VIEW ENLARGED IMAGE

Today we said good-bye to the hospital staff. Emanee, a nurse educator and nurse in the Chronic Care Facility, cooked our favorites–Khmer curry with sticky rice and mango for dessert. Next year, she has promised to cook “fresh fish” for us which must be purchased in the early mornings at the market. Her comment to Susan, who had been her director of nursing for two years, was, “You strict, you strong, but you no scare me!!” This from one who has been through the Khmer Rouge regime!! A chance to share our last thoughts before we leave, the Cambodian nurses spoke of appreciation for faculty and students showing love and compassion to them and the patients of Sihanouk Hospital. We reciprocated by enjoying the food and sharing hugs all around.
The Cambodian nurses will come to the airport for a final Cambodian farewell. We will leave tomorrow morning and will arrive in Nashville earlier than planned for some of us (changed tickets to leave on an earlier flight from Chicago)–at 8:40AM on June 3. You may not hear from us until we return, but we will know that you are praying for our safe travels.
We fondly say good-bye to the people of Cambodia. We know that they are no longer just faces that are different from ours. They are people just like us, our friends, ones who are firmly planted forever in our hearts. Farewell Kampuchea. Farewell, my second home!
Sharon Dowdy