The Way I See It

ChelseaWell, today was an incredibly emotionally draining day for me (and many of us), so I am going to use today’s blog to kind of unload and filter through my thoughts. While Kim went on the hospitals mobile clinic and Stephanie worked the emergency room and operating room, the other three of us (Emily, Victoria, and I) had our turn to go out to the slums to talk with the HIV patients. Because we had a lot of time, we got to sit in their houses with them and have conversations through our interpreter Chaveleth.

Water CansWalking through this area of garbage and insects and who knows what else, I couldn’t help but think to all of the many things I take for granted. It really was an emotionally challenging day to us and to Kim and Stephanie yesterday because you see these people who have nothing and live with a disease that is so challenging, and you wonder how they have a will to get up in the morning. But not only do they have that, they have smiles on their faces and joke about the little things just like we do. While sitting with them, they told us of how they looked before they got on the Anti-retro Virus drug that helps the patients with HIV. They would laugh about how they gain so much weight once getting on the drug and would joke of how different our skin looks from theirs. One woman, in order to make a living for herself and her two children, sweeps the streets at night. But instead of letting her situation bring her down, she picks up posters and pictures people throw away and hangs them on her walls in order to decorate her small tin hut. She was so pleased that we liked them and it brought a huge smile to her face just to show off her little treasures.

So yes, these experiences were very painful to see, but they were also very encouraging. Seeing people in such a horrible place and with a life threatening disease find reason to smile and to push on each day really gives you a new perspective. It is so easy to fall into our own little worlds of what we have or don’t have and it is so easy to live a “me” centered life. But today I truly feel God was trying to open my narrow visioned eyes to see that this life is not all about me. It really has nothing to do with me. We are called to live a life of service and compassion and love- I really saw what that means today. But not through what we did in the slums or what we have done in the hospital. I saw this love and compassion and service in these incredibly beautiful and wonderful people!!!
There was one woman whose children died of HIV, so she now solely takes care of her 10 grandchildren. But not only does she take care of them, she reaches out to other orphans in the slums and helps feed them and take care of them. The love these people show and give so easily is the perfect example of how God calls us to live OUR lives. So although today was painful and tearful and heart-wrenching for me, it was such an amazing blessing and it showed me not only how incredibly grateful I am for what I have, but how I want to live my life.
Tomorrow we will be going out to a village where the people once lived in the slums of Phnom Penh, but were kicked out by the government. They are extremely poor and don’t have food or any means to get it. I know this will be another eyeopening and wonderful experience and the perfect opportunity for us to pour out our love on others. Please continue to keep us in your prayers and thank you for keeping up with what we do!
With love from all of us,
Chelsea