Birthday in Phnom Penh

Emily and BillyToday we had a long traveling morning. We got on the bus at 8:30am from Siem Reap and arrived in Phnom Penh around 2:30pm. On the bus, we had a nice little game of eye spy that included almost everyone in the group. It was a creative way of spicing up the 6 hour journey. Overall, sleeping was the activity of choice on the bus. When we arrived at Phnom Penh, we checked back into our hotel and resettled in our rooms. We had a small break and then met up for our daily group meeting.
Everyone loved one of the restaurants that we went to the first day we arrived in Phnom Penh, so we hit up that restaurant again! I enjoyed a nice vegetarian plate where I made my own tacos. Then, the fun began!! The students, including Mrs. Dryden, went out to a dance club! It was interesting because they played ALL American music. The Khmer way of dancing is to use your hands and form worm-like motions with them, so it was a surpise to not see that. Some of the people from the hospital were also there, so it was good to be able to get to know them better. Since it was my birthday the previous day, the band played a song for me! So, Billy and I went out on the dance floor and did a little jig. Personally, I think everyone loved our dance moves. We stayed at the dance club until 11:30ish, and then we all went back to the hotel and crashed.
EmilyOverall, I am really enjoying the trip. I’m excited to work in the hospital this coming week and to meet more of the staff. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. Even at church, some of the nurses that I have met will invite us to sit with them! This week should be exciting!
-Emily-

Melissa and Emily
Melissa and Emily P. dressed up for a night out with the volunteers of the hospital.