One in a Million

MicheleWhat an amazing couple of days. We left the hospital yesterday afternoon, went to the ‘market” and shopped for the children at the Orphanage. At their request, we bought underwear, salt, sugar, fans and cooking oil. Then we made a stop to buy fruit, getting two “hairy eyeballs” for each child. The children are happy, cared for and well educated. We spent time playing games, singing, and also, visiting the library and their rooms. (Some were a little reluctant for us to see their room but with 5 girls to a room you can imagine!) What beautiful kids, and what a great concert they gave us. The hard part was leaving, they begged us to stay, ‘please come tomorrow’ and ran after the Tuk-Tuk as we went out of the gate; pictures that will remain with us for a long time. These are the fortunate children of Cambodia-they are safe and get an education.
Today was a trip to the ‘killing fields”. To comprehend that much cruelty is beyond my capacity. The great learning from the trip: understanding the people we are working with at the hospital. They lived through Pol Pot and have moved on with their life, now serving others on a daily basis. As I taught the supervisor class today, I had a whole new understanding of their job, their life and who they are as a people.

Well I have learned what it is to be a minority! First, I am the “senior” member of the team (I bet you guessed that by the picture!). In this country, with 50% of the population under the age of 21, I am a definite minority in the age category! Second, my skin in many shades lighter than 99.9% of the people I see each day. Third, in a population of over 14,000,000 people I have not seen more than 14 with “silver fox hair’, as a patient once described me. Well, folks that makes me “one in a million”! That alone was worth coming to Cambodia for!
Once again, I want to thank the parents who sent their kids on this mission trip, they continue to be AWESOME.