OBTW…TICB*

Brandon PharmacyTuesday was the start of another wonderful and exciting day for each of us in Cambodia. Mrs. Dryden, Emily P., Brandon, and I rose a little earlier than the others so that we could meet the mobile clinic group at the hospital. After a few phone calls, tough communication with the nurses and staff, and some walking around, we were finally able to find out where we were supposed to be. We did have a small problem with seating though…a five person truck was supposed to hold seven of us. However, we were able to make it work! We traveled to a small and very poor village outside of Phnom Penh to provide medical care for those unable to come to the hospital. It was a new experience for the three of us, especially since most of our patients were children. Emily and I took vital signs, while Paul handled the pharmaceutical aspect of the visit. He even caught a few mistakes that were made, which shows the great training and education he has already received.
At the hospital, our instructors and student nurses assisted with check-offs. This is where all the nurses have to come in and take tests in several different areas; the subjects included blood cultures, oral care, and oxygen tubing care. Though it was a little hard to understand the nurses during the oral part of the tests, it was very exciting to see that they knew how to perform these tasks. It is obvious that this hospital is making great progress, and so many of the nurses truly know what they are doing.

It is truly encouraging to be able to minister to these people through healthcare. At times during this trip, I have found myself discouraged, especially when we were doing things other than working in the hospital. I felt that I should be suffering more with these people and not being so spoiled. I really wanted to do more for the Cambodians. When I discussed this with Hannah, she really put it into perspective for me. Everything we do during this trip describes a piece of these people’s past; the temples, the killing fields, and the prison all play a part in it. This trip is also more than doing missionary work with the Camodians; we are also here to minister to each other. Yes, we need to spread the word of God to these people who may have never come into contact with Him, but we also need to ministering to each other. I know I have already had a deep conversation with one person in the group, and I think it impacted both of us greatly. Sometimes we get so caught up in trying to help those we don’t know (which we should definitely continue to do!) and forget about those that are already in our lives who might need encouragement or just a Bible verse read to them. Needless to say, God is definitely working great wonders in each and every one of us. It is wonderful to wake up everyday knowing that He is with us everywhere we go. I just love to remember this small verse from the Bible that has helped me get through so many different things in my life, and has encouraged me throughout this trip: “I love you with an everlasting love” (Jeremiah 31:3).
Thank you all for the comments, encouragement, and prayers during our trip! Keep them coming!
Kristian
*Oh, By The Way…This Is Cambodia, Baby
P.S. The following two pictures are a little gift to Dr. Dowdy from me. We decided Anna and Ms. Taplin needed a little payback for posting the pictures of people sleeping.
Susan and Anna