Sunday in Cambodia

Cart Ride in CambodiaWe began our day with worship at the church where Susan’s family attended and were very involved in while they lived in Phnom Penh. We were all warmly greeted and welcomed! It was especially heartwarming to see Susan greeted and embraced by so many of her dear friends. The church is alive and growing…worshipers of all ages. In a country where there is much sadness and hopelessness, it is so encouraging to be in a place of worship and see the hearts of the members of the congregation! Later in the afternoon, when we were at the market shopping (more on that later!), a member of the church spotted us and we had a conversation with him about the growth of the church in Cambodia. There is no interference at all by the government towards Christianity and it is growing by leaps and bounds. That was good news!
We went different directions for lunch…some eating Indian and some eating French. Then it was time to re-group and head out for an afternoon of shopping at the Russian market. There were literally hundreds of vendors all very close together…it was like being in a maze with something new at every turn. It was hot and the vendors are very persistent in pursuing their customers. Bargains were made and bags were filled with all sorts of purchases. I have not quite conquered the art of negotiation…so I will probably need to return to see if I can do better next time! It would be easy to fill a suitcase because there really are so many wonderful things to see and buy. The treat after shopping was iced Cambodian coffee…it was rich, sweet and delicious.

KearyThe trip for me so far has been rich in fellowship and in getting to know members of our team. Just having time to sit and talk is a blessing. Often when we are in our routine at home, talking and sharing doesn’t happen as much as I would like. We are a very diverse group…each with varying gifts and talents. We all have different expectations as we head in to a full week at the hospital. We are all learning to be flexible…schedules don’t always work just as we expect. I look forward to spending time with the hospital staff and getting to know them better. Forming relationships with the Cambodians is a part of the trip that will add to the richness of our time here.
– Keary –