The Center of Hope…and the Power of Togetherness

Mission to CambodiaToday was a very tiring and busy day, but it ended in the most refreshing of ways. To start, a group of us went on a 4 mile walk/run at 5:30 a.m., in which we enjoyed watching the city wake up and get ready for another long, humid workday. Some of us even jumped right in to a yoga class with the local Cambodians on the side of the road. Other interesting sights included the “town elephant” who was taking a stroll down to the king’s palace.
Later this morning, we headed off to Center of Hope for our second day in the hospital. We did similar kind of work as the previous day, but everyone rotated to a different department in the hospital to gain new experience. Anna even took control of many positions (Charge Nurse, Physical Therapist, RN, Nursing Student, etc…) all by herself. The pharmacy students were able to soak in an immense amount of information by following an Australian doctor during his rounds who was very generous in his teaching.
Today was also the first day for surgery (yesterday was the King’s birthday and no surgeries were to be performed), and Melissa and Halli enjoyed watching a thyroidectomy. This particular thyroidectomy was completed by a Cambodian surgeon and Claudine (the first assistant), who just completed medical school in the UK, and is now here volunteering at Center of Hope as well as serving Phnom Penh Church of Christ. The surgery was a great learning experience because the thyroid was the size of a small softball which usually would not get that big in the states due to early recognition. However, Cambodians are not so fortunate with early blood tests and other various methods to diagnose promptly. Also, Cambodians just recently started adding iodized salt into their diets, and many who have lived without this salt have not received sufficient iodide. Thus, their thyroid tissue compensates by enlarging and forming a “goiter”.

In the emergency department, Kristian and Emily P. had their fair share of blood draws and attempted IVs, one of which included an attempt on a Monk. This was rather exciting for me–and yes, I did ask if I could touch him. Emily McClure enjoyed her day in the outpatient clinic by seeing various patients with the doctor and chatting with the sweet Cambodian nurses. Not only did we enjoy observing and participating in medical procedures, but we began to realize that each one of these nurses, doctors, or patients has a story that can inspire us all. Whether their story is overcoming genocide, living with parents who were alive during the Khmer Rouge, or even being a Khmer soldier themselves, they invite us into their lives so that we can share God’s love and mercy with them all.
Lastly, and most rewarding in many of our minds, was when we visited the Christian church in Phnom Penh. Many of the nurses attend church here so it was wonderful to see their faces when we walked through the doors. Also, this is the church that Mrs. Taplin attended for the 2 years that she lived in Cambodia, and it was something special to see her reunite with everyone again. I remember walking into the church and suddenly feeling overwhelmed with emotions where tears were anxious to fall out of my eyes as I saw the most welcoming, hospitable, and joyous people I have ever seen. Not ONE person missed greeting us the minute we walked in the door, and the same for a farewell when it was time to go. I was blown away by their willingness to invite us into their home church and trust us after everything they have been through.
EmilyAlso, the pastor’s sermon hit home with the title of “The Power of Togetherness”. He taught on unity and how Satan loves those who stand alone and fear, but how Jesus prayed for our unity and that we would break barriers with our bonds. This resonated with me as I began to come full circle with our mission field in mind and the purpose of reaching out. This is one world, one God, and one love that is available for us all if we take the steps to release the love that Jesus has filled us with to share with others. It made me stand back and realize just how BIG God is and how GREAT our accomplishments can be when we unite together and fight for what God has intended in our world.
– Emily –