Home Visits

1st_home_sm.jpg 1st_visit_sm.jpg

Today was a very eye opening day for Diane, Julia, and myself as we did HIV home visits with the hospital’s social worker. Before heading to the homes we stopped at the market to buy apples and sardines for the families to eat. I feel that out of the homes we visited the first was the most heart wrenching. I would not even consider the first home a home but a shack. It was a bamboo plank raised off the ground with different plastic pieces of trash connected as a roof. One family’s 6×6 area was connected to the next family’s area. We arrived to a mother who was 25 and has AID. At home with her was her 10 year old son who does not have HIV, her 17 month old daughter who has HIV, and her 7 month old daughter who has HIV. The father was at work making $2.50 per day. As I looked around at their “house” I was blown away. I just could not believe that a family of five could live in such a small rundown space. We have tool sheds in America that are more stable than their home. I was also astonished to learn that they pay $25 a month to rent it! Words and pictures do not even begin to describe how sad their situation is. The social worker began to explain to us that the mother also has TB. She is on the hospitals DOTS program which means she must come to the outpatient clinic everyday for someone to directly observe her take her TB medication. However, she does not regularly make it to the clinic so her children have now all acquired TB as well. Also, the 10 year old boy had to stop going to school because it cost $10 a month and they could not afford for him to continue to attend. This made all three of us very sad because we knew without and education he has barely any opportunity to better his future living conditions. Our other visits were much like the first and we left feeling emotionally drained and wishing we could do more than give apples and sardines.

bro_sis_sm.jpg diane_apples_sm.jpg

On a different note I know that our trip to the village is coming close and we are all very excited. We know that God has something very special to show us because there have been so many doors opened for us. However, there are still a few things we are not sure about and I would like to ask everyone to please pray for everything to fall into place the way God has planned and help us to trust in him.

We miss everyone at home and want you to know that your comments brighten our days and greatly encourage us and your continual prayers are needed.
Matthew 17:20 “The simple truth is that if you had a mere kernel of faith, a poppy seed, say, you would tell this mountain, ‘Move!’ and it would move. There is nothing you wouldn’t be able to tackle.”

home_visit_wom_sm.jpg dinner_river_sm.jpg