Amazing Grace from an Awesome God

susan_kids_sm.jpg exercising_sm.jpgWow…..what a trip so far! Today has been so full, I feel like we have had 2 or 3 days in one. So many things to share about that I will put them under subheadings. The morning began early at 0530 with the whole group going out to exercise. We witnessed a beautiful sunrise and then joined a group of Cambodians exercising in the form of dancing along the river front. The tall women from America were a big hit and we did the macarena (sp?) and some Khmer dancing. It was a great start for the day.
OUR PRAYERS: We have been praying together for our work in the hospital and village trying to focus on God’s ability to heal through us as well as healing that comes through the love of Christ. Our prayers have been specific that God give us the wisdom, compassion and love we need to make a difference in the places we go.
stefani_julia_sm.jpg patient_line_sm.jpgTHE MOBILE CLINIC: HOPE has started a mobile clinic that consists of a truck with supplies, a doctor, nurse and other helpers. It travels around the city providing free medical care to the poor and needy, children and adults alike. We were asked if we wanted to join and of course we did. None of us including myself had any idea of what to expect. It was totally and completely amazing. We went to the area of Stung Mean Chay which is the city dump. It is the area the children come from in the orphanage we have visited in the past years. We walked in and were greeted by small children from the local school running to hug us. Later, the Khmer physician who runs the mobile clinic set up an area for me to see patients! He asked me if I would like to see them myself or together with him. I was a little nervous at first, but realized that God was providing me an opportunity to learn about the types of illnesses we would see next week in the village. We decided my Khmer language skills were not good enough to see patients without translation, so we settled on seeing them together. The group played with the kids and then helped triage the patients into the clinic. It has built the faith of each one of us to see how readily God is providing us with the wisdom we need to treat the children in the village. I learned so much about the medication available and types of illnesses we will see; most of which are due to such poor nutrition. anson_pt_sm.jpgAnson was able to use her PT skills and I realized today how valuable that will be in the village as many women came with sciatic pain or other overuse type ailments. During our discussion tonight of our “highs”and “lows”of our day, the mobile clinic and how God is providing was at the top of each list.
THE HOSPITAL: After the clinic was over and we had a wonderful lunch at a favorite restaurant, we went back to spend a few hours at the hospital. As the group was all off doing their “thing”, I headed to talk to the pharmacist about helping us to order some medications to take to the village. The idea was to purchase some de-worming medications, antihistamines (it is allergy season here), antibiotics and a few others. Well, God showed his love for the poor once again and HOPE is donating most all of the medication! They are providing enough medicaiton to treat 500 children for worms, antibitiotics, tylenol, pre-natal vitamins and more. So, far the only purchase of medications we will need to make will be for flagyl. Another prayer we have had is to provide us with a Khmer nurse to go with us to the village. I will admit, I was a little skeptical because I understand the issues with staffing at HOPE and we would be asking someone to volunteer their time as well. God is amazing and it was so easy. I did not even ask for a nurse to go, I was offered one! So, one of my dear Khmer friends who is a nurse educator at HOPE and a Christian will be coming with us to help in the village!
THE CHURCH: We attended church on Sunday and again tonight. The trip to church was miserably long due to rush hour traffic that is total chaos, but we finally made it and were happy to see everyone. After you read this next part, close your eyes an imagine this: Sitting in plastic chairs outside with fans blowing on you. The preacher is speaking in Khmer and there is a translator talking over the sound of the fans. Mosquitoes are biting at your ankles. The heat is still considerable even with the fans. Electricity goes out two to three times during service. A bat flies over the group a few times and then the large rat runs up the side and across the front behind the preacher. We think the rat is a cat, but realize it is not.
The church is actually doing great! There have been many teens baptized over the past year. The church that was planted from Phnom Penh in Siem Reap has grown from 7 to 24! There is much joy and excitement among the disciples and we have felt their love. They have come to pick us up for church in the van each time and then drive us all the way back to our hotel. I mentioned the village trip to Sovann and Sopheap (leaders of the church) and from the very first Sopheap wanted to come help translate. Prayerfully, she will be able to join us. I can see us in the village provided physical and spiritual help the the poor in health and spirit. Our God is a mighty and loving God who will do great things here.
sunrise_sm.jpgTHANKS: To each of you who has made this trip possible through allowing your daughters to come, donating money and supplies, supporting us with encouragement and prayers. We feel your prayers and rejoice in them. We are receiving Mannah from heaven and I pray that we remember the gifts God is lavishing on us now when we come to a time of suffering and need. We love you all!