Sunday

JessieFor me personally, I’ve grown up in church, knowing the ins-and-outs of Christianity from a young age. I am certainly blessed to have been introduced to God at a young age, not having to experience much outside of God’s grace and mercy. However, this situation can easily lead to an idle Christian faith in which nothing is new. Of course, this is completely wrong—there is always SO much to learn, it’s just that I’ve allowed myself to be content in not actively pursuing God’s will. The message at church was a very simple and ‘back-to-the-basics’ type of message about the great commission, and our responsibility to make that part of everyday life. Savahn (sp?) the pastor of the church, shared about a few opportunities that were placed in front of him on Saturday when we traveled to the village. 1. He gave a man a ride out to his village which was further than where we were going. In conversation, Savahn asked if he had ever been to church, or heard about Jesus. The man answered, “No, never.” This lead into deeper conversation about Christ and Savahn’s faith. 2. When introducing all of us foreigners to the people of his village, he told them about our concern for them, and that we brought supplies. He boldly explained that we loved people because God first showed his love to us. He followed a very short statement with a couple verses from Matthew. ….

Savahn shared these stories in church to be an example, and a shephard to his flock–which he does very well. His message and his actions that I witnessed the time we’ve been here has been very humbling and challenging to my confidence in where I stand, and what progress I’m making to be more like Christ. Do I take the opportunities that God puts before me to share my faith, or do I make an excuse about why it wouldn’t be a good idea. Do I worry more about people across the world instead of seeing the dead in spirit sitting right next to me? We’re all called as Christians to be ready to give an answer about our faith whenever someone asks…but we are also called to actively go and make disciples, without any prompt from questions. As I said before, it’s hard to be in Cambodia and not be challenged to grow.